1st un-supervised dive today. Had a good time. Used a lot of air :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am just soooo jealous. Getting my things in order so I can do my first dive post-certification. Our whole class (5 of us) had so much fun when we had finished all the requirements and our instructor buddied us up (under his watchful eye) and we just got to swim and explore more in the quarry. I think we all enjoyed that more than anything!

The first batch of post-certification dives are still part of the learning curve, and you are right on track! You put your training to work very nicely and executed two safe dives. You will find that during each dive something else just clicks, and little by little diving will become second nature. Kudos to you!

I was descending a little too much so I inverted again and started kicking up while adding air to the BCD to find neutral. It took me a while of kicking and slowly adding air to get to a semi-neutral state. I was trying to stay off the bottom because its easy to kick up silt. After getting neutral and settling down I checked my air. 1000psi gone. Wow that was fast. I really need to calm down and slow down a bit.

If the air was hot and the water was cold some of that 1000psi (maybe 200psi?? ) could be due to the tank rapidly cooling down.

Enjoy the journey!

Sounds like a good time. That gives me an idea of what I have to look forward to because I just finished OW also. Thanks for posting, that was good read!!!

My advice is don't rush the first dive. Make a good plan so you can focus on your skills.

It would have been better for me to have descended over the platforms to start since I was a bit on edge about the dive. This way I would have had a nice flat stable platform to settle down and get my buoyancy adjusted. By descending over the natural bottom I burnt a lot of air trying to avoid the bottom.

The second dive was much more fun because we swam out to where want to be and then descended right on it following a guide line. This allowed me to get down and get adjusted then swim around. I saved a lot more air this way.

Also on your ascent if you have a guideline it really helps to give you a visual reference if you are rising or falling. Try not to hold the line though. Try to hover next to it to build this skill.

sounds like you found a great and understanding buddy :), and had a great dive!!

I have 20 dives all of them with a DM acting as tour guide, i also get nervous about my air consumption so i tend to stick with a DM so they don't judge me lol. Planning my first unsupervised dive next week looking forward to it :).

Yep. Sounds like you had a good time. I did that duck diving too when I first got o/w certified some time back. It's all in the breathing :wink:. I get to go dive with my newly certified buddy this weekend in a pretty nice lake. We shall see how my buddy does being that this will be their first dive without an instructor also. It will be fun for sure! Have fun in the warmer waters!

Congratulations on doing some independent diving!!!! I hope you continue to get more and more experience on your own. Air Consumption will improve dramatically as you gain experience!!!!

Keep diving!
Roger

Congratulations on doing some independent diving!!!! I hope you continue to get more and more experience on your own. Air Consumption will improve dramatically as you gain experience!!!!

Keep diving!
Roger

I will continue for sure. I've got my eye on that master scuba certification.

Also side mounting doubles looks interesting.

Next steps will probably be advanced open water and rescue diver

Back
Top Bottom