1st unplanned deco dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Limiting my signals to the "Standards" in my PADI open water manual - and thinking like a rec diver who doesn't plan on any deco - I'd do the "Something's wrong" sign and point at my computer.
Please, don't do that. If you showed it to me, I would think your computer died. At least show "deco sign" and shrug your shoulders, it would be more intuitive to me. Your computer showing deco obligation is not a fault, at least, it's not a computers fault.

Please, don't do that. If you showed it to me, I would think your computer died. At least show "deco sign" and shrug your shoulders, it would be more intuitive to me. Your computer showing deco obligation is not a fault, at least, it's not a computers fault.

That reminds me, another useful sign is "broken," though it requires two hands: make a motion like you're breaking a stick. That's what I would use if my computer died.

Yes, broken computer would be snapping the twig sign and pointing at the computer. Wig wag hand is "problem" which a deco obligation for a recreational diver certainly is. I don't think it is misleading.

In the perfect world, all divers would understand the full vocabulary of hand signals that tech divers should know. But, they don't. I'll wager that most recreational DMs in, for example, Cayman, don't know or remember the deco sign either (let alone Cozumel or something).

So, you need to use the "vocabulary" they are likely to understand because the point is to signal your issue in a way that the receiver will understand it, or at least so that it will provoke appropriate follow up and corrective action.

They do know "I gotta a problem" and if you point to the computer, signal "I gotta a problem" and give them a thumbs up, you've communicated what needs to be communicated. Likely they'll swim over and look at your wrist too.

That's why a wave over your head works so well... "I'm near or have a ceiling"... Hand signed ideas should make as much sense as possible.. a pinky up would mean you're wanting to drink a tea to a diver in the UK.. LOL.

Jim...

That reminds me, another useful sign is "broken," though it requires two hands: make a motion like you're breaking a stick. That's what I would use if my computer died.

you're clearly not a tech diver yet lol. The broken sign while officially is a two-handed signal but we usually just flip off what is broken since it's a one-handed signal and we're usually pissed off that it broke...

I know you were being somewhat tongue-in-cheek and I chuckled when I read your response - but for the sake of accuracy I would point out there are an awful lot of tech divers who use the broken sign. I save the flipping off sign for things that are broken and very annoying to me!

t
you're clearly not a tech diver yet lol. The broken sign while officially is a two-handed signal but we usually just flip off what is broken since it's a one-handed signal and we're usually pissed off that it broke...

Rant:

Gawd, how I wish all tech divers in the USA at least would learn ASL. Fingerspelling, at least, but more signs would be better. It does not require wet notes or slates, it's not ambiguous, an FFM and comms are not needed except in zero or near-zero viz, it's as fast as talking on the average once you're proficient, numbers can usually be communicated more quickly, it's better for describing 3D spatial relationships than English or French (by far!), you can communicate *anything* you need to, and it can be done one-handed. At a minimum it would be good if diving signs in the USA, Canada, and France were the same as the corresponding ASL and FSL signs. The only real inhibitor is 3-finger gloves, but not many people use those, and they screw up "regular" scuba signs anyway.

And, yes, I am completely serious, notwithstanding that other countries have distinctly different sign languages where internationally-accepted signs might be good to know for a multinational team. But It think most of us do the vast majority of our diving in relatively close to home geographic locations.

End of rant.

(How'd that damn soapbox get down there under my feet? Anyone know?)

Also useful for certain buddies that stir up too much silt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom