2-22-09 Monterey Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here are a few from last Sunday. First dive, Ballbuster.

Male Kelp Greenling
P2220018-01sm.jpg

Second dive, Steam Engine on the deep shale beds

Juvenile Canary Rockfish (Check out the tiny Hermit Crab behind him.)
P2220021-01cropsm.jpg

Black Eyed Goby
P2220022-01cropsm.jpg

Flabellina Iodinea-Spanish Shawl
P2220027-01cropsm.jpg

One Spot Fringehead
P2220039-01cropsm.jpg

I really like the fringehead picture :)

Edit: LOL

Sweet Pics! Strange that up in Monterrey your Kelp Greenlings are so very very different than SoCal's. They almost look like a variant of the Lingcod "which are part of the Greenling family".... Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Thanks Christophe, Peter & Frank.

Strange that up in Monterrey your Kelp Greenlings are so very very different than SoCal's.

I haven't seen any Kelp Greenling that look different than this one, other than females, which are more speckled looking. Some of the females have a color pattern kind of like an Island Kelpfish, but I've only seen the speckled kind. I have seen color variations in the males, some more silver or more orange looking. I haven't seen any examples in the ID books that look different either, including in my Channel Island diving. You're not confusing a Kelp Greenling with a Giant Kelpfish are you?

Thanks Christophe, Peter & Frank.

I haven't seen any Kelp Greenling that look different than this one, other than females, which are more speckled looking. Some of the females have a color pattern kind of like an Island Kelpfish, but I've only seen the speckled kind. I have seen color variations in the males, some more silver or more orange looking. I haven't seen any examples in the ID books that look different either, including in my Channel Island diving. You're not confusing a Kelp Greenling with a Giant Kelpfish are you?

Yeah I was a little turned around... I was having a brain fart and thinking about Painted Greenlings, which are very very different. The Greenling family has a diverse assortment of shapes, sizes and colors. Def. one of my favorite groups of fish.

Nice collection of shots Larry. I always enjoy your photos especially because I will never see those critters as a warm water wimp diver.

40.gif

Thanks Marcin, Ron & Jim.

Nice collection of shots Larry. I always enjoy your photos especially because I will never see those critters as a warm water wimp diver.

40.gif

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Ron & Jim, I annually trek to your warm waters, but always enjoy the pretty tropicals we don't get to see when you post them as well. We've already been to Maui twice and my wife dove the big Island last year, in addition to our Caribbean dives. PI and Florida are both on our short list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom