For Sale 2 Aluminum 80's for Sale in SE Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in Stuart, FL, pickup only.

I have two al80 tanks for sale with current hydro. One hydro is 6/23 and the other is 9/23. I mainly use steel tanks now and haven't been using these at all. $150 each. Visuals expire one year from the hydro dates. They have convertible valves installed.

PXL_20240127_222336306.jpg
PXL_20240127_222344091.jpg
PXL_20240127_222403262.jpg
PXL_20240127_222412510.jpg
PXL_20240127_222423493.jpg

Price drop, $125 each or both for $200.

No thanks, I almost paid that in Hydro fees in the past year.

Understood, meant no disrespect. I would offer more but they only have one more hydro left in their lifetime (30 yr limit on Al) and no guarantee they will pass. If you ever change your mind, I'm right down the road!

Understood, meant no disrespect. I would offer more but they only have one more hydro left in their lifetime (30 yr limit on Al) and no guarantee they will pass. If you ever change your mind, I'm right down the road!
Non sense. Where did you get this info from?
Tanks will be in service until they fail inspections, there's no time limit on it.

Non sense. Where did you get this info from?
Tanks will be in service until they fail inspections, there's no time limit on it.
Some dive shops (with questionable ethics) tell their customers that aluminum tanks have a 30 year limit to dissuade them from buying used tanks, and instead sell them brand new ones.
Or maybe the dive shops are just mis-informed about which aluminum tanks are no longer in service, and why (the bad AL alloy from ~1988)

For USA application:
DOT-3AL certified tanks have no set life limit - 20, 30, 40, 50, + years and there is no reasonable expectation for them to fail simply because it has been a long time since they were extruded. Unlike cheese or guacamole or sushi, aluminum doesn't just "go bad".

The 5 year hydro interval is intended to detect compromised tanks by testing structural integrity (ability to hold test pressure, usually 167% of service pressure, within expansion limits) and elasticity (ability to return, within limits, to the non-pressurized volume after hydro pressurization is released (not becoming too brittle)) measuring the aluminum's ability to still "do its job". Visual inspections serve to detect other compromises such as physical damage, corrosion, and contamination. Hydros include a cursory visual (but I personally don't consider it to be a very comprehensive visual inspection - I've seen a lot of tanks straight out of hydro that I would not pass without further probing).

Within those constructs, there is no reason to have to take an aluminum bottle out of service.

This includes bottles made from the 6351 alloy that was susceptible to sustained load cracking - but the ongoing testing and certification requirements for those bottles are more extensive. For me, those make maintaining and using a 6351 bottle too much of a PITA.

There are certain life-limit restrictions on fiber-wrapped (hooped) aluminum bottles (15 years) and bottles made under a special permit are limited to the life of the permit and any subsequent DOT renewals.

I will concede that there are fill station operators that may spread falsehoods re: tank safety either intentionally through greed and the desire to sell new bottles or ignorance/superstition/voodoo that have not taken the time or expended the effort to learn actual fact (aka lazy-assed folk). After all, "IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!" so it cannot be debated.

First, thank you to everyone for dispelling misinformation.

Second, for our area, these are great for shore diving, which we have a lot of opportunity to do in SE Florida.

I only dive steel tanks now, so I'd to get these out of my garage. I paid for new hydros in 2023 for both, so $100 for both would be just giving them away. New tanks are now $200+. Paint chips are purely cosmetic and don't affect the performance or longevity of the tanks. Buy both and you're getting them at half the cost of retail. These are perfect for new divers who want to dive BHB, LBTS, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom