2 dives days in Playa del Carmen - worth doing Cozumel excursion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PStrangerX

Registered
Reaction score
Is Cozumel that much better where its worth taking the longer trip out there? Or should I spend both dive days doing the sites around Playa? Thank you!

Cozumel is amongst the most beautiful places for recreational diving there is. If you have a reliable operator lined up and the time to visit, I don't see why skipping Cozumel would be justified.
Cheers,
Ricardo

The ferry ride can be enjoyable and I consider the diving in cozumel well worth experiencing if you're as close as playa. I'd recommend booking with an on island dive shop with a good reputation rather than one on the mainland selling excursions unless you'd rather the ease a decision-free package offers.

I would be surprised if you regret taking the time to dive cozumel as well as the mainland.

Regards,
Cameron

Is Cozumel that much better where its worth taking the longer trip out there? Or should I spend both dive days doing the sites around Playa? Thank you!
Would you plans allow an overnight in Coz?

PS - the dive shop in Playa Del Carmen I am considering using is Dressel Divers (next to the Iberostar Hotel). Good reviews on tripadvisor, but does anyone here have any experience with them?

Dressel Divers is just fine. I would assume that they will pick you up at the ferry and take you down to the Cozumel Iberostar to join the operation there and then return you to the ferry when diving is over.

My wife and I were down at the Royal Hacienda's in Playa for the 1st week of September. Dove with the on-resort dive op, Dive Balam; awesome experience. We never made it over to Cozumel (or the cenotes for that matter) and have no regrets (but I have also never dove in Cozumel, so I have no basis for comparison). Probably the easiest and most enjoyable diving we have done in our 2 years/100 dives since being certified. Lots of rays and eels, a few nurse sharks, and range of depth from 60' reefs to 100' wall throughout the week. Regardless of what you do, enjoy and be safe!

Personally, I would rank the 3 sites as follows:

#1 & 2 - Cozumel & Cenotes, tied.
#3 - Playa

So, if I had only 2 dive days in Playa, and I'm not coming back to the area in the near future, I would do 1 day in Coz and 1 day in the cenotes. However, I understand that the boat ride over (if using direct service) can be rough at times (causing seasickness), and if using ferry, can be a bit more tiring.

Otherwise, I'd do 1 day Playa reefs and 1 day cenotes, and come back to do Coz on a different trip (staying in Coz).

I would dive both days in Cozumel and if you are already staying at Iberostar, then book it with Dressel. That would be the easiest for you and you will have a great experience. Bottom line is to at least do 1 of the 2 days in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom