2 DS50 or 1 DS125

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwtr1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been shooting with an Ikelite 3040 and a single DS50 strobe with good results. However, for the sake of size and travel, I have upgraded to the 5050 and the PT-015 with ULCS arms/tray for the DS50. Now, keeping in mind that SIZE DOES MATTER when traveling, would you recommend dual DS50s or a single DS125 for the best lighting in a compact package?

Any info or comments (sarcastic or otherwise) would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Gerry

Dual is usually better as far as results go and depends on how minutely you want to judge your photos.

I no longer use dual strobes because of the size factor....both in packing it all for travel and in carrying it around on a dive. One is just simpler to pack than two but it's that 'mad spider' feel underwater that I don't miss.... The wider tray required, strobes sticking out from both sides....I just got tired of it and found myself dreading having to put up with my camera.

When I went digital, I downgraded to one S&S YS90DX strobe and I use a diffuser to soften the shadows and no longer worry that there are shadows at all.

But then again, I'm a diver who takes pictures, not a photographer who dives.

Dee once bubbled...
When I went digital, I downgraded to one S&S YS90DX strobe and I use a diffuser to soften the shadows and no longer worry that there are shadows at all.

Dee.....how are you using your diffuser and the sync cord. I saw the adaptation that I think Jeff or LAz made on DD. Just wondered how you are doing it. Also, when are you using the diffuser vs. not? :confused:

Steve

Bacchus once bubbled...

Dee.....how are you using your diffuser and the sync cord. I saw the adaptation that I think Jeff or LAz made on DD. Just wondered how you are doing it. Also, when are you using the diffuser vs. not? :confused:

Steve

You DO mean fiber optic cable and not sync cord, right? I made one of Laz's Gizmo's and it works great! The only downfall is you can't remove the diffuser underwater without losing your strobe. So if I start out with it, I use it for all shots and viceversa. And you know what....the difference is minor enough that it doesn't matter to me either way, but that's just me. It may drive you nuts!

One other thing I changed when I went digital was I made myself relax my perfectionist standards. I discovered that I was miserable chasing that ellusive perfect picture. The absolute perfect exposure, lighting, composition, etc. was all that mattered and I wasn't satisfied with anything less. No wonder I wasn't enjoying photography very much! Going digital and getting away from a fixed focus lens was a big help. I still strive for good photos but I no longer get bent out of shape when they aren't perfect.

I do mean fiber optic cable. I guess that I will try it with the diffuser next time out and see what I think.

I agree.....if I was always looking for the elusive "perfect" picture, I wouldn't enjoy the diving or photography as much. I'm just happy to have a few that don't make the trash bin.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom