2 Hour Breakers Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been tossing around the idea of making an extended dive on the breakers area reef with a few friends and might try to organize one soon. What I was thinking was to make one long dive as oppose to two 45 minute dives. Prob drop in on Rons reef and drift the two miles north through turtle mound. Just playing around on Vplanner Ive come up with a No-stop time of 130 minutes @ 60' on 36%: 44% CNS and close to 200 cubic feet of gas

Wonder if something like this would work and if anyone would be interested?? any thoughts?

Steve

That sounds like an awesome dive..... for reference, I dove the breakers on Friday: hit about 60 feet and had a 100 cf aluminum tank with a 3700 psi fill and I believe 33% Nitrox: I did a 58 minute dive (which includes ascent and safety stop) and had around 1500 psi left in the tank. Did very little finning: just let the current carry me along. We started fairly far south and never made it to Turtle Mound

Two side mount AL80's and a pony, 100 minutes ? I guess I need to learn side mount first. Sounds like a nice plan though.
Do you know of a charter that would do this ?

I'd hit it.
Actually.....
I do it all the time down here in Broward on 40% in a jacked up Faber 149 at that depth.

Chug
Got Capri Suns and waiting for details.....

I have been tossing around the idea of making an extended dive on the breakers area reef with a few friends and might try to organize one soon. What I was thinking was to make one long dive as oppose to two 45 minute dives. Prob drop in on Rons reef and drift the two miles north through turtle mound. Just playing around on Vplanner Ive come up with a No-stop time of 130 minutes @ 60' on 36%: 44% CNS and close to 200 cubic feet of gas

Wonder if something like this would work and if anyone would be interested?? any thoughts?

Steve
Sounds like fun. Let me know if you get it scheduled. I'm interested.
i really like the idea of doing one long dive in palm beach. I think we would really get a feel for the reef lay out. It would be great if there was a decent current running the day of the dive, we could definitely cover more ground. Same gas in a stage bottle as the bottom gas and no deco gas necessary. Shallow extended range diving, sounds like a cool mission, I'm in.

Sounds like fun. Let me know if you get it scheduled. I'm interested.
i really like the idea of doing one long dive in palm beach. I think we would really get a feel for the reef lay out. It would be great if there was a decent current running the day of the dive, we could definitely cover more ground. Same gas in a stage bottle as the bottom gas and no deco gas necessary. Shallow extended range diving, sounds like a cool mission, I'm in.

I think this could really happen, especially if we get a good group together. Doubles would be the bets bet for this dive, but as you point out paul, you could do it on a hi-cap single with a slung AL40 or AL80 with the same mix to get the same volume. Id use my dub LP95's. Maybe anyone with a slung tank could coordinate with the boat to send it up on a lift bag at a predetermined time. Finding a charter to do this shouldnt be too hard- maybe during the week when there is less taffic offshore.

Am I the only one that does 3+ hour dives on the "Pompano Drop Off" and its environs?

Chug
Don't eat whoppers, dive whoppers.

I think this could really happen, especially if we get a good group together. Doubles would be the bets bet for this dive, but as you point out paul, you could do it on a hi-cap single with a slung AL40 or AL80 with the same mix to get the same volume. Id use my dub LP95's. Maybe anyone with a slung tank could coordinate with the boat to send it up on a lift bag at a predetermined time. Finding a charter to do this shouldnt be too hard- maybe during the week when there is less taffic offshore.
I am available during the week as well. I have another tech diver that is interested and is usually available on Tuesdays. I dive double 100s and my buddy dives double 80s. I would like to make it from Ron's to turtle mound, so we may have to plan the dive based on a mild current and carry the appropriate amount of gas for a short hang. I guess we will need to calc distance vs the approximate slowest travel speed along with the v-planner calcs. Again, very cool idea.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

60 fsw for 120 min at .32 O2 (my standard mix 60-100). I need 193c of gas and 3:30 min at 15fsw. CNS is at 34%. Based on gas reserve requirements, I will need a stage. I know we won't be at 60fsw most of the dive and my sac will probably be better if we have a good current, but this is worst case.

60 fsw for 120 min at .32 O2 (my standard mix 60-100). I need 193c of gas and 3:30 min at 15fsw. CNS is at 34%. Based on gas reserve requirements, I will need a stage. I know we won't be at 60fsw most of the dive and my sac will probably be better if we have a good current, but this is worst case.

I would suggest to keep the dive to within NDL limits. That way we dont need 1/3 reserve and can breathe the entire 200 +- cubic feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom