2 piece 3.5mm VS 1 piece 7mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubabaer

Registered
Reaction score
The few times I've gone diving I've only worn the top of a 7mm two piece wetsuit. Because of my size I have trouble getting around with both pieces on. I was wondering if anyone knows if I'd stay just as worm wearing both pieces of a 3.5mm. I figure my torso would still have 7mm of cover, even though my arms would have less, but my legs would then have 3.5mm instead of nothing. Make any sense?

Thanks in advance.

You'll surely get some answers more experienced in your regions waters, but I'll give you this one for starters...

You're talking about two piece Farmer John's, right? One piece looks a lot like what's common thought of as farmers coveralls :fork: (although I've been in a farm family for 50 years and have sledom seen farmers wear these), and the next peice goes over your torso next with long sleeves. Yes, the two layers of 3.5mm should give you a total of 7mm, with two exceptions:
(1) Not on the shoulders - where I get cold first, in air or water; and
(2) Water seeping between the two layers will make this not the same as a 7mm.

I seldom dive in water below 70 degrees F, so I'm not your best source, but still - I'll offer what I can.
(a) At 80 F and up, I wear a Polyfin;
(b) From 68 to 80, I usually wear the polyfin and a 3mm Jumpsuit - a once piece that covers my torso, arms and legs, maybe with a beanie, especially in the lower temps of that range; and
(c) Below 65, I'm wearing my polyfin, my 3mm jumpsuit plus a 3mm shorty - giving me 7mm over my torso including my shoulders plus a neoprene beanie. :cold: I was cold at 55 F last week at Catalina, but part of that is that I'm not acclimated for such waters.

I may be wrong, but I like my approach, with two layers on my shoulders.

Someone else.....?

DON

:mean:

I see how a 2 piece farmer john 7mm is bulky, but why not a 1 piece 7mm full suit? If being a bigger size is a problem, there are a lot of hyperstetch suits available that are really comfortable, flexible and will keep you warm. If you are from WI and diving local waters, you might try a 1 piece full suit. You can add a hooded vest for more warmth. This can also be in the hyperstetch material.

Juls

The best configeration I know of is a full suit with a sleeveless step-in that is worn over the suit. With both pieces on you would have a total of 7mm in your torso and the freedom of the 3.5mm in your arms and legs. The neat thing about this configeration is that you can wear both pieces together or separately. This is what I got when I got my custom suit from Liquid Fit. I have only worn the full suit, but at least I have the option of both pieces. I got my shortie in a French cut!!!!!

Hope you find something that you like.

Now that is not nice. Don't talk about "french cut" and not include a picture!

Back
Top Bottom