2 Sets of Halcyon ACB at once?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andre171

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, has anyone tried two sets of Halcyon ACB (vertical) weight pockets at once?

Background: Diving single Al 80 with carbon backplate (not wanting an ss plate) and drysuit (Waterproof D10) in quite cold water (~4⁰C). I have 4kg in trim weight pockets on the camband, 6kg in the Halcyon ACB pockets. 10kg in total are not enough. I need 2 to 8kg more lead...

Alternatives: Soft weight belt (works already); additional camband with more trim pockets low on the tank; 4kg p-weight (in combination with an ss plate sufficient, but as said, I don't want another backplate)

The DUI weight harness interfers to much with the waist belt (tried it).

Dive rite makes 32(?) Lb weight pockets for this reason

Halcylon has a weight for the single tank adaptor (STA) which takes that down another 6lbs. Unless you’re using that already.

@Andre171 I think you really need to rethink your objectives. You're making life complicated because you're hell bent on slicking with a carbon fibre backplate. They're great for warm water travel diving. They're a very poor choice for cold water.

The whole point of using a BP is to keep it simple. Not to find every possible way to attach paraphernalia to it.

Stick with your CF and use a weight belt. Or get a SS plate. Simples.

If you've got room on your waist for them to fit. I'm sure you could use them. Diveite makes 32lb pockets too, but you're a lot better off just using a SS plate and a weighted sta.

I have 4kg in trim weight pockets on the camband
Is there a reason this isn't loaded heavier? You could get closer to 9 kg if you load up 4 trim pockets on the 2 cambands.

The STA weight doesn't work with the carbon fibre STA
You could, however, get the "regular" STA, weight insert, and longer bolts, and still make that work with the CF built-in STA.

Thanks for all the input ☺️

My plan is to separate the weights from the rig for easier donning (loading the weight pockets after donning) and easier (long distance) walking (unload at shore and retrieve the weights later).
When not diving dry, I detache one set to get a lighter rig. For very warm water are the trim pockets sufficient. I use the DUI weigt harness only for snorkeling in cold water.

The bigger weight pockets like Dive Rite's are quite big.. so I try 2 sets of the vertical ACBs. I was quite shocked about the retail price of the ACB pockets. Quite in the range of an ss backplate... but I found a copy of them on AliExpress for 30 bucks. I'll give it a try.

Of course, heavier tanks and ss hardware reduce the need of lead... in my case its not the desired solution.

The weighted STA seems to be the most elegant way with a small p-weight (5lbs) in addition.

Back
Top Bottom