2 UFL-1 or single better strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, thank you all for the info. I really appreciate it.
TO PufferFish: I believe the statement that ys-01 doesn't work in s-ttl is wrong even it is S&S own statement (there was a discussion on Oly board going on and it seems S&S didn't tested the strobe in proper mode). Anyway I will let you know once my ys-01 arrive.
Martin

Hi Martin,
Am in exactly the same position as you, and was thinking about a YS-01, but have now found this thread. Have searched for the thread on the oly board you mention, with no luck, do you have a link?
Thanks
MArk

I've tried every setting I have with my YS-110's, and my Pany LX-5 (which uses the same strobe control) and do not get any optical TTL... yes it will fire correctly, but without any control... would sure be interested in how one can make one work.

Hi Mark,
sorry, I don't have the link any more but my camera and flash should arrive early next week so I will test it and write my results here.

I have both the XZ-1 and the YS-01, tried every setting I could think of but still couldn't get TTL to work.

I guess Martin might be referring to this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sea-sea/380402-ys-01s-oly-xz-1-ttl.html

I tried the setting mentioned but it didn't work as well. What I noticed is that the XZ-1 fires 2 pre-flashes. I guess the YS-01 will not work with 2 pre-flashes. Manual works fine though.

For those who wanted to know, the YS-01 has a flash duration of about 1/250s at full power, 1/500s at 3/4 power, 1/1000s at 1/2 power. All these are based on my non-scientific test.

Hope this is helpful.

For those who wanted to know, the YS-01 has a flash duration of about 1/250s at full power, 1/500s at 3/4 power, 1/1000s at 1/2 power. All these are based on my non-scientific test.Hope this is helpful.
1/250 at full power? That's long for such a little flash. I use fast sync of 1/800 sec for internal flash so as to minimize the blue-ness of the ambient light. I guess I will soon have an extra strobe mode in my custom modes (macro & med range w/fast shutter sync, and then another in 'program mode' so the distant subject still gets the 'blue' ambient light while the fg gets lit by the strobe.

1/250 at full power? That's long for such a little flash.

Ya... wondering what's the flash duration of the Inon S-2000 or D-2000 though. Anyone care to do a test and let us know? :wink:

I use fast sync of 1/800 sec for internal flash so as to minimize the blue-ness of the ambient light. I guess I will soon have an extra strobe mode in my custom modes (macro & med range w/fast shutter sync, and then another in 'program mode' so the distant subject still gets the 'blue' ambient light while the fg gets lit by the strobe.

I play around with the shutter speed to get the same effect too. With the ND filter on, I think total blackout of the background is achievable.

Hi, I started the thread about the xz-1 and sea and sea strobes. I have investigated thoroughly and verified that they absolutely will NOT provide TTL exposure under any circumstances.

The only interaction between the xz-1 and sea and sea strobes is that you can control the strobes' output using the in-body manual flash settings. Set the strobes to TTL, set the camera to manual flash and then pick one of the manual flash settings (full, 1/4 1/16 1/64) and the strobes will reduce their output accordingly. You can also use the camera's internal neutral density filter to reduce the flash even further for ultra-macro.

Although this is good manual control, it is not TTL. This makes each shot a guessing game about how much strobe power you need. Often you have to take a shot, review it, adjust flash up or down on the camera body, and re-shoot. As you can guess, that does not work out too well.

Since I am invested in 2 YS-01s which cost more than the camera, I decided to sell the camera outfit and go with the E-pl2, which will work fine.

So, if you are buying strobes from scratch, the xz-1 is a great outfit. If you are invested in Sea and Sea flashes, then you will need something else.

Is the issue with the Sea & Sea not being able to perform multiple pre-flashes? I see a few people getting rid of their new Sea & Sea because of comparability issues.

Back
Top Bottom