2 weeks - when in september or october

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
Which two weeks in sept. or oct would be best weeks to go to bali this year? Does moon phase matter?

I've got some advance intermediates that want to see the mola mola. So I want to maximize their chances to see them (and also to see more sealife) yet I don't want the currents to be too strong. Everyone actually prefers to go in Oct but does that reduce our chances for seeing the mola mola since it's later in the season?

Also, if there are any other special events/water or weather conditions that make one week better than another, that'd be good to know too.

A couple of us will probably go on a komodo liveaboard after bali if we haven't waited too long to book. Thanks.

IMO most of September, especially the first half of the month, is within the peak season for Ocean Sunfish (mola mola). Candidasa & Padangbai are the principal sites for them but I understand that they may also turn-up at Nusa Penida and sisters. After a week of diving there, you can plan to join a Komodo Liveaboard. I would strongly suggest Mermaid I as it departs from (and returns to) Benoa Harbour in Bali and so there is no internal flight involved.

Does moon phase make a big difference both in terms of komodo and the mola mola?

I'm seeing that a lot of the komodo trips have full availability on the week without any moon so I'm wondering if there is a difference.

Thanks.

Some of Komodo's sites really excel when there is lot's of current as it makes the fish action spectacular, so diving it near during new/full moon can be best. I wouldn't not go just cause the
current's not running, as Komodo is really fantastic diving. Not sure how it would affect mola action but it would make the diving around Lembongan/Penida a bit more tame, which for some can be a good thing.

As always brilliant advice above from Dirtfarmer.

Komodo sites when you are attached to the reef with your reef hook and thousands of fish are swimming around you is just the stuff diving dreams are made of. If you have the budget ,do a liveaboard, you won't regret it.

For excellent value , high quality diving before or after the trip , Lembongan will offer the the highest chance of seeing Mantas and Mola Mola. We have stayed and dived with both Two Fish and World Diving who are excellent local operators with extensive experience of the currents and sites.

Have a wonderful trip. We are heading back again there yet again in October.

No doubt that the best chance for see molas is September. From Nusa Lembongan you will have the easiest and most confortable access to them. Phase moon matters a lot, either in Nusa Lembongan area and Komodo. Despiste during full and new moon are the biggest movement of water is when more chance to see more and bigger fish action.
To combine this two places I agree with Hintermann, Mermaid Liveaboard for the komodo trip and after I will recommend you Planet Nomadas resort in Lembongan. Where actually I'm working for the last five years. Offer an excelent dive operation and confortable acomodation to enjoy diving and relax in the beach.

Cheers.

We went to Candidasa and dove from there and saw mola molas in September!! It was a great trip!!

+1 to tippy and dirt farmer.

As a frequent visitor to Bali and Komodo Islands, try to coincide your trip with the lunar cycle. Strong current = abundant fish life and pelagics. I have seen Mola2 throughout the year from Chinese New Years, easily Spring, to the fall season at Nusa Penida and the Gillis near Padang Bai. If you keep your expeditions to a minimum, you will not be disappointed. If your budget allows, you will not regret a Komodo liveaboard. There are many great liveaboards in Komodo. Have a wonderful trip.

Back
Top Bottom