2 year old never used Gekko & Warranty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaliber35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It has never been used but is 2 years old. The guy selling it never send in the warranty card. If I buy it can I send it in and still have the warranty? Im guessing the warranty is for 2 years from the date of purchase. The watch is $200. I know a new one off LP is $250 + shipping so this one is still a good deal. What are my options here? What would you do?

No warrenty..Even if it was purchased yesterday with the card.To have the warrenty in effect you must be the original purchaser/owner.

I guess worst case is that is does not work and then you have a problem.........if it were new or from LP you would return it to the store and get another one, which can't happen in this case.........

Warranty is more than the registration it is also the original purchase receipt......

Electronics typically break within the first 90 days of use, if they make through that then they are generally OK.........at least that is what I experienced when I sold consumer electronics as a kid...........

Why was the unit the never used? Is the seller a diver? Why is he selling?

Can you turn on the unit and walk through all the functions before you buy? Or is this a mail order type purchase?

What does the battery indicator say - full 4 segments or less?

I guess I would preform a detailed surface inspection, including opening the battery case followed by a dive or two to make sure it works............

It would be much easier for me to buy if the unit had 100 dives (the last one being yesterday) on it, has worked flawlessly for the past 12 months, I was buying it from the user and he/she is going rebreather and needs to upgrade (so you have a valid reason for the sale), in this case NIB is not a good thing......

In any event, if you can do a check out dive and it passes inspection then it is all about a price that you can afford to loose........if the units dies on you right away......

For me the price would need to be much much lower in this case.............

Suunto warranty is only two years to the original purchaser......so if it stops working you are out of luck............

Also I recall that Sunnto had a batch of bad depth sensors.......not sure exactly when or if the Gekko was included but there may be serial numbers and production dates......just in case

Hope this helps......M

Great explanation. He claims that its was never used was because he bought 2 and they didnt take the other one back for whatever reason. Im not sure why it sat for so long. It does look brand new and the battery is full. He is a pastor of a local church so I guess I trust him.

The bottom dollar is a huge factor. If I decided to buy from LP I would be paying an extra $75 bucks for a 2 year warranty.

The depth sensor thing you mention is of concern. Im gonna look into it.

I also kinda agree with you about it being a little used a good thing!

Still dont know what to do. More money so Ill never get my wifes foot out of my ass or peace of mind. UGH! lol

Church pastor gets plus points in my book.........

This is a local purchase as you have held the unit in your hands also gets plus points........

Did you walk through all the functions? Set time/date/prefs/etc?

If so and all is good then it gets a little tough...........

First the price, I would offer say $125 due to the lack of warranty........

I would also check into the sensor issue just in case...........

Then I would do a sting dive at a pool, lower it into the deep end and check that it auto turns on and reads depth/temp correctly.........

Suuntos will show max depth and dive time in the log function..........remember to push all the buttons underwater..........

If this works then buy it............for a good price.......

Finally, I would ask him that if it dies with the next 30 days, would he give you your money back? It is a long shot but it can't hurt...........

My son just sold his paintball gun that had sat unused for 18 months, I told the buyer that if it does not work and he brings it back in the same condition (not driven over) I would give him his money back......I don't sell broken/defective items, just out of principle?....

On the plus side Suuntos are great well built units.........we have two Gekko's and love them.......

If you can get it for 1/2 price - $125 versus $250 then it is a great deal.......

M

He did go thru a few screens and I pushed some buttons as well. I had the chance to dip it in the pool today during a dive class but didnt want to until I found out about warranty. I offered him 150 and then 175 but he held very firm at 200. He did give me his card and assured me that he will make things right. I guess thats a good thing too. I do think that the 200 is a bit high but I cannot find another Gekko cheaper. Ive email 3 other people for one and they will not go below 200 either. This guy got the business cause he is local, a pastor and overall seems to be a genuine guy.

Id be happy if I could feel confident that it wont crap out after 30 days from being dormant for 2 years...

For $200 firm I would walk away.......and buy from LP at $225..........

$25 bucks + shipping + taxes (if applicable) for 2 years peace of mind........priceless......:)

Suunto "Gekko" Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer, White

Hey, it is used by being two years old even if it is NIB......it is simply unrealistic for a private seller to expect 89% of a "new" store price........

I would not have offered over $125.......that was based on a $250 LP price but now I would be at $112.50..........

His issue is the retail was like $360 back 2 years ago, but the world has changed with stores like LP and Scuba Toys........

M

Glad to help.......:)

Safe diving.............M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom