2008 Dry Tortugas Technical Expedition (Deep Wrecks)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacketSniffer

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just finished up a five day live-aboard trip in the Dry Tortugas, chartered by Oceanic Ventures, on the M/V Spree diving several deep wrecks. The trip was led by Richie Kohler and Mike Barnette who did an outstanding job. Presentations on the wrecks were provided in the evening by Mike and Richie to showcase the wrecks and provide tidbits to help formulate our dive objectives. Some shot video. Some shot stills. And some just relaxed over the wreck with a smooth uptake of helium.

The wreck roster included:

M/S Rhein
Araby Maid
U-2513
Chelsea
USS-S16
USS Curb
USS Wilkes Barre
USAF Hoyt S Vandenberg (Option)

The Vandenberg was out due to not having been sunk yet. Beyond this, the patrons altered the dive plan a bit as we were having too much fun treasure hunting on the Araby Maid (opting out of USS Curb or Chelsea or S-16). We decided to spend another day over the Araby Maid. Needless to say, "china fever" had struck almost everyone on the boat. Hehe...

In all, we had eight rebreather divers and six on open circuit. Rebreathers included 2 Megs (3rd Meg was Crew), 3 Optimas, 2 Evolutions, and 1 Inspiration. All units held together strong and kept everyone in the water. Three scooters also joined the mix. These were mostly used for digging. >:)

Although I admit to crewing on the Spree, I can't write without saying how it's such a great platform for tech (or rec) diving. It's very clean (Hi Melanie :) ) and well equipped with all of the safety features required at this level of diving; chase boat, O2 hung @ 20fsw, life rafts, etc. The layout is perfect and the space aboard is just right. Food is ALWAYS top notch and in abundance. The best part is that the owners have the very best intentions of a safe but very enjoyable trip at heart.

We were truly provided some of the best conditions you could ever have for a week long trip. Only the first day provided a little current but vanished there after. Temps were in the low 90s(f). I was amazed at the glass-like conditions at times (no joke). Temps at depth were right about 72f. Visibility was for the most part excellent except for our last day trying to make a pass on the Wilkes Barre. Vis was so bad on the live boat drop that we weren't sure if we hit the wreck til we ran into rust. Even so, we weren't sure where we had landed. With that, we spent about 15 minutes at ~220fsw and decided to blow the bags. Otherwise, vis was very pleasing throughout the week at an average of ~90 feet.

The trip was a LOT of fun. I understand the trips are to be expanded next year adding two more to the schedule. Richie and Mike will be leading them again next year. There will be two trips that are rebreather-only with one being an expedition trip on the Key West Ghost Fleet with depths to 420fsw.

Cheers,

Richard

P.S. Note one of our own Texas Swamp Divers exiting the water (Matt Booth).

Attachments

• 2008DryTortugasGang.JPG
    2008DryTortugasGang.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 79
  • EveningGlass.JPG
    EveningGlass.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Gas.JPG
    Gas.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 75
  • Loot.JPG
    Loot.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Matt.JPG
    Matt.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Great trip report! I tried to get my husband to do this trip when I heard about it last year. I am not a tech diver, but he is, and I think he would have really enjoyed it. I am trying to get him to do the Brine Seep trip they have planned for September 8-10.
We really enjoyed our Dry Tortugas trip this past Memorial Day weekend. It is something we will do again next year. I mean you just can't beat it for the money. I just happened to read Captain's Frank report last night when I was cruising the site for Stetson Trips this year. Great to read the stuff about the wrecks, and the treasure hunting. Love, love, love the pictures! Melanie and Capt. Frank look like proud parents. LOL!

Nice report. Thanks for taking the time to share. Wish I could've been there.

Sounds like a good trip, Richard. Also explains all those text messages I got...:D

Here is a sampling of video created by Chris Parsons (Spree Divemaster) taken from three HD cams. CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Man that is so ****ing awesome!!!! Thanks for the video link.

Here are my 2 cents for this trip. I agree with Richard that it was an excellent trip all around.

I want to thank Mike and Richie for the great dive briefings that they gave us before we dove on each wreck. The briefings included the history of the wrecks and things that we would see on the dive. (For more information about the wrecks, you can read Mike's book) And, they also gave us a special presentation about their expedition to the Britannic (which can be seen on the History Channel).

I also want to thank Frank and Melanie Wasson (the owners of the MV Spree) for putting on a fabulous trip. I'm looking forward to more tech diving from the Spree.

In addition, I also want to give special thanks to the crew of the Spree: John Camp, Chris Parsons, Patti Davis-Landry, and Kelly Rockwood for taking care of us and feeding us for the week. Kudos also for Eric Keibler, the Dive Safety Officer, for the thankless job of trying to keep track of us diving. And, my special thanks to the two hardest working guys on the trip, Dave Snyder and Kenny Cruse, the gas blenders who made sure that we had the gas to do the dives.

And yes, Richard had some awesome video of the diving. Also, thanks to Richard for posting a picture hauling myself and all of my gear out of the water. :D

Wow! That is too cool! Thanks for sharing the video. I soooo wanted to go on that trip this year, but just couldn't swing it. Next year hopefully...

Very Coiol... I hope to take a trip like that someday:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom