2010 Zamami Coral Spawn approx. when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nihon.Iruka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning to dive Zamami this June.

Is there any sense of when the coral spawn is likely to occur this year? Or is it still too early to know?

Thank you!

For those who were interested, this year's spawn occurred 4 weeks earlier than last year, beginning on May 30th and ending on June 2. The ocean temperature warmed early. Most scheduled tours will be diving this weekend and next, unfortunately missing a great natural event.

Photos of the spawn can be viewed on the site below which is in Japanese. The photos are excellently done and clearly show the coral polyps spawning.

Since I am not yet allowed to post a URL I have written out the address. Please replace the caps with the actual item

ds-conan.cocolog-nifty DOT com/blog/2010/06/61-b877.html

Google translate gives an English reader a sense of the post.

I don't think it ended June 2nd as we were out there on the 5 and 6th and there was still a lot still going on. Which was also why we probably had whale sharks in close to the islands I think they were dining on coral eggs as well as krill it seemed.

Thank you for updating me.

Have you posted any photos of the spawn? Very disappointed to have missed it.

If you would be so kind as to ask the whale sharks to hang around the neighborhood for a few more weeks I would greatly appreciate it as the better half and I are diving Zamami from June 23 for a week.

Didn't get any shots of the spawning but I will see what i can do about the whale sharks. Second sighting in a week- they like Kuroshima South and around the hazard marker (Japanese shops usually call this area Manta Point).

For anyone interested in seeing more of this natural event, here are some photos and video from a Japanese diver who manages to go every year.

The site is in Japanese however the photos and video are easy to see and understand.

I am not allowed to link yet (not enough posts) so to get to the site, replace the large bold DOT with a dot in the web address.

www5b DOT biglobe.ne.jp/~stream/ohanasi/sanran.htm

His close-up photo of the polyps exploding from the coral is magnificent.
www5b DOT biglobe.ne.jp/~stream/syasinn/sannransanngo2007(2).jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom