23 days to first Bonaire trip! Please share your best tips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maine Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Arriving 2/27 for 8 nights, staying in a 2 bedroom condo at Sand Dollar, truck rental and unlimited shore diving. We will be taking the 1/2 day photo course with Fish Eye Photo on Monday morning, doing a full day of diving with Bas Tuesday, video shoot with Fish Eye on Wednesday morning, the UV night dive with Bas Wednesday evening, and possibly Thursday evening as well. Unscheduled time will be spent shore diving on our own.

Please share your favorite dive site, restaurant, activity, ect or tips on Bonaire.

There is so much good information on this site.

Okay, in no particular order! Take a dry bag that you can use as an ice chest in your truck! Roll the windows down enough so a thief can get to the lock without breaking the glass! You can tack some cheap cable and a lock and use them wisely! (PM me and I will tell you a way to keep your stuff safe while diving! I use the system in Calif.) Take heavy soled booties! Take a mess bag for your dive gear to carry between boat and truck etc! Buy some soda and reuse the bottle for water and freeze it in your Freezer over night! Take Crystal Light and easy things that a re way cheaper than local goods!

Restaurants are a personal thing and half the fun is checking them out! My friend has a favorite that isn't mine! So taste is personal!

Visit the Park and take three tanks each and dive it if possible! Great diving! there is no bad sites! Tolo, Jeff Davis, are great north sites, the south has the Lake, Helma Hooker is a must, Wind sock, and something special in town!

Go to the east side and Wind race, see the caves and wind turbans! Check the light houses as well!

320_IMG_2819_South_East_Light_House_Bonaire_09.jpg

480_IMG_2852_Mother_Rock_on_Bonaire_09.jpg

480_IMG_2871_Starlighjt_cave_Bonaire_9-09.jpg

How about some random tips.
Do not take travelers checks or large bills. Use $20s and your CCs. Some CC's charge you a ripoff fee for currency exchange...even though you are being charged in USD- check with you CC company. I use Capital One and they do not.
There is an ATM directly in front of Sand Dollar that you can use to get either Guilders or USD- your choice. I use it on most every trip and so far neither bank has charged me a fee.
The value of the guilder is 1.77 to 1 but for quick reference I use 2 to 1. A quick reference is 35 Nfl is $20 USD. Most of the time you will get change in guilders, be aware there are 3 and 5 Nfl coins, these add up quickly.
When looking at prices be sure to understand if it's in guilders (Nfl) or USD. Some menus are in USD, some in Nfl and some in both, when in doubt ask.

The food and water are safe to eat/drink on the island so eat and drink where ever you like. We buy 1- 1L water bottle each when we arrive and refill it from the tap the rest of the week. The island is arrid and you will dehydrate so drinking a lot of water is important. Filling it 1/2 way and freezing it on it's side, then filling it fully before heading out makes a great way to have cool water after a dive. We wrap it in a towel at the dive site. An empty 2L soda bottle filled with water and placed on the hood of the truck makes a really nice post dive solar powered face wash.

Take the hardest soled booties you have. The shoreline is ironstone and coral rubble at most spots so soft soled sock like booties are not a good idea.
Personal safety is not really an issue at the remote sites but thieft is at times a problem. Follow the simple rules of don't take anything you don't need and leave the vehicle windows down and it's very unlikely you will have problems. Old t-shirts, towels, water bottles and the like are rarely bothered. There is no need to carry much to the dive sites. Most sites are less than 15 minutes away from your resort. All I carry is a $20 bill or 2 and room keys in a "waterproof" (yeah right :) ) case. I also put the truck key in it during the dive. It is clipped inside a zipped up BC pocket during the dives. The water does not hurt the keys or bills. I just returned Sat from 10 days on island and had zero problems (trip #15 with no problems). Still, don't invite problems by locking items inside the vehicle and walking away.

Restaurants on Bonaire are good but it's a different culture than ours. SLOW DOWN. Food is cooked to order so expect to take at least 2 hrs for a meal. If you are in a hurry, don't eat out. It is considered rude to place a bill on the table like we are use to. When you are ready to leave, get the wait staff's attention and ask for the bill (I use a hand sign like writing on my hand), otherwise you and the waiter are waiting on each other....a Bonairian standoff maybe :confused:.

Unlike in the US, a honk of the horn at an intersection is followed by the ENTIRE hand being waved out the truck window instead of the one fingered way we often do. :) Seriously, a horn toot and a wave are very common hello on the island.

And a few nice to know words you will hear a lot and it's nice to use them:
Bon Bini - welcome
Bon Dia- good morning
Bon tarda- good afternoon
Bon nochi- good evening
Danki- thank you
Masha Danki- thank you very much
Dushi- a friendly term like sweetheart or honey

*(&^*&%@!! I just got back and I already miss the island.

Just returned from 10 days with Herman.

I would add that taking Jerry's naturalist course at Bonaire Dive & Adventure is worth its weight in gold. It's around $50 each and worth every penny!

Last edited:
Well damn!

Papa Bear and Herman are giving all the good advice and not leaving anything for the rest of us but I'll add a couple of things.

First make sure you call your credit card company and tell them where you will be and when. It just may keep you from having a problem if your CC company starts rejecting your out of the country expenses. I had it happen once in Cozumel and had to spend over an hour on the phone getting it straightened out.

I have found over the last two trips that the vis on the northern sites was better, and in some cases much better, than the southern sites. To the north I really like Karpata (my favorite on the entire island), Ol Blue, and Weber's Joy (maybe also called Witch's Hut).

To the south I like Red Slave (dive it early in the morning because currents are usually less), Invisibles, and to my surprise on the last trip, we had an incredible dive at Red Beryl. We saw 4 eagle rays, a big green moray, and a frogfish all on that site.

We've eaten all over the island and have really never had a bad meal/experience but my favorites for dinner are, in no particular order, Casablanca, Lion's Den, Patagonia, and Richards. And be sure to head over to Lovers for their ice cream every night. It's right at Sand Dollar. I'll be there at the same time next door at Buddy's and I'll even buy you some ice cream!

Speaking of Buddy's, on Friday nights they have an all you can eat buffet for like $20 I think it is. They usually have chicken, steak, shrimp, etc. Just get there early for a seat.

Well, I guess I did have a few things to add afterall.

Arriving 2/27 for 8 nights, staying in a 2 bedroom condo at Sand Dollar, truck rental and unlimited shore diving. We will be taking the 1/2 day photo course with Fish Eye Photo on Monday morning, doing a full day of diving with Bas Tuesday, video shoot with Fish Eye on Wednesday morning, the UV night dive with Bas Wednesday evening, and possibly Thursday evening as well. Unscheduled time will be spent shore diving on our own.

Please share your favorite dive site, restaurant, activity, ect or tips on Bonaire.

There is so much good information on this site.

Go to Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire! Unbelievable wealth of knowledge. We just did Bonaire over Christmas and if you go to the trip report section of that site, find my 18 Page Trip Report. I also have all my best dive pictures posted in the photography section under What You Can Do For Not Much Dough.

You are going to love Bonaire. Shore diving paradise. Very jealous.

Looks like all the good tips have been given so far. There was one restaurant that I absolutely loved while we were there. I can't for the life of me remember the name, but they have a weekly BBQ buffet for $20 (I think on Mondays). BBQ Chicken, Ribs, BBQ Pork, BBQ Beef, etc... the works! I was on a trip with four of my buddies and all four of us agreed that it was our favorite place.

How about some random tips.
Do not take travelers checks or large bills. Use $20s and your CCs. Some CC's charge you a ripoff fee for currency exchange...even though you are being charged in USD- check with you CC company. I use Capital One and they do not.
There is an ATM directly in front of Sand Dollar that you can use to get either Guilders or USD- your choice. I use it on most every trip and so far neither bank has charged me a fee.
The value of the guilder is 1.77 to 1 but for quick reference I use 2 to 1. A quick reference is 35 Nfl is $20 USD. Most of the time you will get change in guilders, be aware there are 3 and 5 Nfl coins, these add up quickly.
When looking at prices be sure to understand if it's in guilders (Nfl) or USD. Some menus are in USD, some in Nfl and some in both, when in doubt ask.

The food and water are safe to eat/drink on the island so eat and drink where ever you like. We buy 1- 1L water bottle each when we arrive and refill it from the tap the rest of the week. The island is arrid and you will dehydrate so drinking a lot of water is important. Filling it 1/2 way and freezing it on it's side, then filling it fully before heading out makes a great way to have cool water after a dive. We wrap it in a towel at the dive site. An empty 2L soda bottle filled with water and placed on the hood of the truck makes a really nice post dive solar powered face wash.

Take the hardest soled booties you have. The shoreline is ironstone and coral rubble at most spots so soft soled sock like booties are not a good idea.
Personal safety is not really an issue at the remote sites but thieft is at times a problem. Follow the simple rules of don't take anything you don't need and leave the vehicle windows down and it's very unlikely you will have problems. Old t-shirts, towels, water bottles and the like are rarely bothered. There is no need to carry much to the dive sites. Most sites are less than 15 minutes away from your resort. All I carry is a $20 bill or 2 and room keys in a "waterproof" (yeah right :) ) case. I also put the truck key in it during the dive. It is clipped inside a zipped up BC pocket during the dives. The water does not hurt the keys or bills. I just returned Sat from 10 days on island and had zero problems (trip #15 with no problems). Still, don't invite problems by locking items inside the vehicle and walking away.

Restaurants on Bonaire are good but it's a different culture than ours. SLOW DOWN. Food is cooked to order so expect to take at least 2 hrs for a meal. If you are in a hurry, don't eat out. It is considered rude to place a bill on the table like we are use to. When you are ready to leave, get the wait staff's attention and ask for the bill (I use a hand sign like writing on my hand), otherwise you and the waiter are waiting on each other....a Bonairian standoff maybe :confused:.

Unlike in the US, a honk of the horn at an intersection is followed by the ENTIRE hand being waved out the truck window instead of the one fingered way we often do. :) Seriously, a horn toot and a wave are very common hello on the island.

And a few nice to know words you will hear a lot and it's nice to use them:
Bon Bini - welcome
Bon Dia- good morning
Bon tarda- good afternoon
Bon nochi- good evening
Danki- thank you
Masha Danki- thank you very much
Dushi- a friendly term like sweetheart or honey

*(&^*&%@!! I just got back and I already miss the island.

Having just returned from Bonaire, this info is pretty much right on. Do NOT get bogged down in the car theft thing. Be smart. Don't lock your car and don't leave anything valuable in it while diving and you will be fine. Anyone that ever violates that and has a bad experience suddenly goes off the deep and and lets everyone within earshot know "how bad" the crime is on Bonaire.

I kind of broke the code on the "slowness" of the service in restaurants. They have a different culture and don't like to be "pushy" about getting you to leave so they will rarely bring you your check. But if you get up and go to the register, they will happily ring you up and chat pleasantly with you about your meal or your stay on Bonaire.

+1 on the hard sole dive boots and the safety of the water.

I bought a waterproof cell phone bag at a marine store to carry money, driver's license, key, etc. while diving and it worked perfectly.

All this and a huge amount of additional info on grocery shopping, restaurants, etc. in my trip report at Bonaire Talk: 18 Page Trip Report for 18-26 Dec 2009

And we stayed at Sand Dollar too so if you have specific questions about that, please feel free to email me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom