24 Hour Dive at 65 fsw with Just 6 Hours of Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Interesting what constitutes a dive in the scientific dive community, thanks for the link.

Best mix gasses I suspect. Wonder what his OTU parameters were. NOAA tables? I'd be interested in a source that didn't call it his "oxygen tank".

Cameron

Last edited:
Interesting what constitutes a dive in the scientific dive community, thanks for the link.

Best mix gasses I suspect. Wonder what his OTU parameters were. NOAA tables? I'd be interested in a source that didn't call it his "oxygen tank".

Cameron
Yes, I saw that too. It does make you wonder if anything else was lost in translation as it's obvious the author is not a diver.

Yes, I saw that too. It does make you wonder if anything else was lost in translation as it's obvious the author is not a diver.
I heard someone talking about this the other day (out on a dive boat in the Philippines). They described it quite differently.

I don’t know exactly what source they had seen (a video I think), but it describes the team trying to capture this one year but missing it because they didn’t have any divers in the water the moment it happened. They then came back with more divers (24 was the number quoted to me) so they could have teams in the water on rotation 24x7 until they captured it. Sounds way more plausible to me than a couple of guys doing 24 hour long dives. Who dives the next 24 hours after this guy got out of the water?

I don’t know exactly what source they had seen (a video I think),

It sounds like the Blue Planet 2 Clio at the end of the episode where they describe exactly that.

The article talks about support divers “recharging his rebreather” so I suspect he was running a variable set point to help with the CNS and then swapping out units underwater. If it’s the Blue Planet crew they seemed to be using rEvo and AP in the footage I saw.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Gombessa 2

If I remember correctly, he was given a second one just so they could get his rebreather up and swap sorb and tanks. Don't remember exactly, haven't had time to run through the whole thread or watch the video again (it's a bit of a long movie)

The (a?) deco plan was screenshot here

I think the movie should be available with english subtitles...

Hope this helps?

If I'm not mistaken, this is Gombessa 2

If I remember correctly, he was given a second one just so they could get his rebreather up and swap sorb and tanks. Don't remember exactly, haven't had time to run through the whole thread or watch the video again (it's a bit of a long movie)

The (a?) deco plan was screenshot here

I think the movie should be available with english subtitles...

Hope this helps?
Excellent. Thank you.

Laurent Ballesta presents "Projet Gombessa II" - blancpain.tv

Hmm on reading more, it seems possible that they did another expedition later which focused more on the sharks (gombessa 2 is called "le mystere merou", which translates to "the grouper mistery"). For those that have a subscription to natgeo, it's here Look Inside a Frenzy of Hungry Sharks and Breeding Groupers .

It seems strange, because we were indeed talking about 24h of dive in 2015, so I'm a bit confused.

Some more info on how they did the 24h dive in 2014 here But again, I'm not sure if that is indeed the dive at hand here :(. Posts from pépé_O2 are the ones with the info.

I think Patoux01 is right, there are a few details on the website: Blancpain Ocean Commitment

According to the website, a documentary about the dive was to be released in 2015, so it's possible that nat geo was just late to publish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom