26th Annual Great Lakes Shipwreck Festival- Feb 21, 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
26th Annual Great Lakes Shipwreck Festival™

Saturday, February 21, 2004
Oakland Community College * Tirrell Hall (Building J)
Farmington Hills, Michigan
www.shipwreckfestival.org

Exhibits —9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Free * Open to the Public

Displays and Exhibitors include major dive equipment manufacturers, dive shops, maritime museums, underwater preserves, marine memorabilia, charter boat operators, tourist and travel operators, and live performances from maritime vocal artists. Learn about new dive gear and the latest underwater photography and videography equipment. Find information on dive destinations in the Great Lakes, and around the world. Something to see and learn for every diver!

Music by Lee Murdock
Lee Murdock’s music speaks to the people who live, work and play around the Great Lakes today. To listen to Lee’s music is to visualize the long deck of an iron ore freighter being rocked by malevolent waves, to join in singing a Great Lakes adaptation of a deepwater shanty, to nurture a love for an isolated shoreline, or to chill to a ghost story of legend in song.

Programs and Presentations 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Most programs will run twice.
$20.00 in advance, $25.00 at the door, $10.00 students at the door, with valid ID.*

Wreck of the Frank Goodyear by David Trotter
Noted Great Lakes wreck researcher and diver David Trotter and his URA team present the newly-discovered wreck of the steamer Frank Goodyear. After a collision in the fog in the early morning of May 22, 1910 the 436 foot steamer sank in 4 minutes, taking 19 lives. Discovered in the summer of 2003, the 2004 Shipwreck Festival is proud to host the premier presentation of this fascinating dive site.

Wreck of the Kyle Spangler by Stan Stock

Great Lakes wreck hunter Stan Stock premiers the presentation of the wreck of the Kyle Spangler, discovered in August 2003 at the bottom of Lake Huron. The Spangler is a large schooner, resting upright, almost completely intact and with its mast still standing. This awesome wreck will become a new “must dive” on your list.

Wreck of the Gunilda by Terry Irvine

The luxury steam yacht Gunilda was the flagship of the New York Yacht Club when it hit a shoal and sank off Rossport, Ontario in 1911. Said to be one of the most beautiful and well-preserved wrecks in the world, the Gunilda is the pride of the Canadian Great Lakes’ sunken fleet. The Gunilda now rests peacefully at a depth of 280 feet at the base of McGarvey Shoal in Lake Superior.

Deep Body Recovery by Michael Kane
In January 2002 three people died in Lake Castiac near Los Angeles when the test of a high performance power boat went tragically awry. Michael Kane, GUE Instructor, organized and led the search and recovery of their bodies from 260 feet of water. He explains the techniques of searches and safe recoveries from deep water.

The Edmund Fitzgerald by Ric Mixter
Ric presents the harrowing tale of the sinking of the Edmond Fitzgerald, and the controversy surrounding efforts that have been made to explore and preserve the wreck.

Diving the Britannic by Andrew Georgitsis
Andrew Georgitsis, Technical Training Director for GUE, presents GUE’s expedition to the Britannic, sister ship of the Titanic, sunk off the coast of Greece during World War One. Learn the answer to the mystery of her tragic loss while serving as a British hospital ship.

Kingston Wrecks by Dan MacKay and Tom Rutledge
The unpredictable stormsthat frequent Lake Ontario, sweeping from the southwest into the mouth of the Thousand Islands, caused many a ship to come to grief on the shoals in the Kingston area. Northern Tech Diver presents a multi-media montage of many of these wrecks, including the schooners Marsh, Sheyboygan and Kattie Eccles, the paddle wheelers Comet and Cornwall, the barge George T. Davie as well as one of the deeper wrecks, the Londonderry.

Warm Water Dive Destinations by Janet Czapski
Dive travel consultant and avid underwater photographer Janet Czapski explains how to travel safely to those warm-water destinations, and shows you some of her favorite places in the Caribbean and South Pacific.

Dive Safety by DAN
Julie Clarke of Divers Alert Network presents DAN’s research and statistics on dive accidents, and explains what you should do to be a safe and prepared diver.

Shipwrecks of Grenada by Tony Gramer
Join Tony Gramer as he teams up with the Island Dancer and Rendezvous Beach Resorts to explore the ‘Bianca C’ known as the Titanic of the Caribbean. Follow him as he dives extensive walls and reefs teeming with fish, colorful coral and other marine life.

Tonga and the Humpback Whales by Rudy Whitworth
How can something that is 50,000 pounds be graceful? Rudy Whitworth presents the under water and above water antics of the humpback whales of the Kingdom of Tonga. Tonga is a nation of islands, with unspoiled coral reefs teeming with life and a gracious King who protects the whales in his waters. Rudy will chronicle his experiences snorkeling with Humpback whales on an eco-friendly liveaboard.

Minnedosa, Sad End to a Gorgeous Vessel by Andy Donato & Randall McDonald
The Minnedosa sank with all hands and the Captain’s wife on October 20, 1905 in a huge gale that claimed many other ships. Launched in 1890 as a 4-masted schooner, at 243 feet in length the Minnedosa was the largest lake sailing vessel ever built in Canada. The wreck of the Minnedosa was located in 1993. She sits upright, with intact deck and skylight, in 220 feet of water some 15 miles from Harbor Beach, Michigan. The dive team of Andy Donato and Randall McDonald present their videotaped dives on the wreck in 2003, along with a visit to the historic shipyard in Kingston, Ontario that built the vessel.

Scuba Cylinders & Valves by Rachael Kasper
Rachel Kasper explains how to choose the right cylinders for your diving needs. She will discuss materials, buoyancy characteristics, valves, and will present a detailed chart comparing the characteristics of the sixty most common scuba cylinders, including the new E-7 and E-8 series from Pressed Steel.

Photo Contest Winners
See the winning entries from the concurrent 2004 Ford Seahorses Underwater Photography Contest. Categories include freshwater, saltwater, shipwrecks, diver portraits, aquatic life, macro, abstract and more. Entries from around the world.

For more information, please go to:​

The Official Hotel of the GLSF is

Comfort Inn of Farmington Hills
30715 West 12 Mile Road
Farmington Hills, MI 48334
For reservations call 248-471-9220

Ask for the group rate # 3271 for the Great Lakes Shipwreck Festival
Room rates are $62 if reserved before February 13, 2004

*note: Programs and Presentations subject to change without notice.

I added a couple of programs since my original post.

DD I'd love to drive down to Farmington Hills for the Wreck show. But...
I'd have to fly back from the KEYS!! That's right, the FLORIDA KEYS!!
Where I'll be allllllllllll February.

I couldn't resist a chance to tell everyone, and frankly, gloat. I get so
few things to gloat over anymore I couldn't pass this up.

On a more serious note, when is the show going to be next year? I really
would like to go, since I'll be in THE FLORIDA KEYS THIS YEAR!!!!!

They say it's warm in Florida....like above 40....and the viz...you can see
more than 10'!!! Tobermory will never be the same.

Lawman:
DD I'd love to drive down to Farmington Hills for the Wreck show. But...
I'd have to fly back from the KEYS!! That's right, the FLORIDA KEYS!!
Where I'll be allllllllllll February.

I couldn't resist a chance to tell everyone, and frankly, gloat. I get so
few things to gloat over anymore I couldn't pass this up.

On a more serious note, when is the show going to be next year? I really
would like to go, since I'll be in THE FLORIDA KEYS THIS YEAR!!!!!

They say it's warm in Florida....like above 40....and the viz...you can see
more than 10'!!! Tobermory will never be the same.

My heart bleeds for ya, Lawguy. While you'll just be hanging in the Keys and really diving, we'll be up here talking about diving.

Next year's festival is not officially scheduled yet, but they've been held in late February for years, so February 19, 2005 is a good bet. Maybe you can tear yourself away from FLA for next year's shindig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom