2nd Open Water Pool Session

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finnatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Eveyone!

Just had our 2nd OW pool session where we finally got to use all the scuba gear! I am HOOKED! My biggest worry was that breathing from the regulator was going to be difficult, but nothing to it...it's just as easy as breathing on the surface...no effort at all. There are 6 of us in the class. After learning how to set up our gear we learned how to work the inflator hose for buoyancy control and how to clear the reg and breathe. Then he demonstrated the skills he expected us to learn: clearing the mask, retrieving the lost reg and clearing it 2 ways, ascending to the surface then descending to the bottom (10' ), fine tuning buoyancy by hovering about 2' off the bottom, then descending again, lastly OOA ascent (this was simulated by swimming from the deep end to the shallow end) blowing bubbles all the way (DON"T HOLD YOUR BREATH!). I was amazed at the change in attitude with our instructor from class to pool. In class, very relaxed, joked a lot. Pool is ALL business. I was SO excited...had a big grin underwater the whole time, lol. Everyone did well..at least for our first time with the equipment...we were really terrible with the buoyancy thing, floating like out of control corks all over the place at first, lol...but at the end of the session we got to play for a little while and we looked like we were finally getting a handle on it. Next class is Tuesday...such a loooong way away. We do the confined water dives for cert. in 2 weeks! I can dive! :D (kinda sorta!)

Finnatic,

Nice report. Your enthuiasm and joy really come across (it's addictive, isn't it?). Reading your post really put a smile on my face (recalling many of those same feelings and experiences starting out). I'm sure it'll do the same for others here as well.

Good luck next week (and good luck waiting until next week :D).

:) sounds great:( trouble is i gotta wait til sept 16 before my OW starts then wait til 27th before pool sessions start...i'm all green with envy now:wink: reading your post is making the wait even more unbearable.....sounds like it will be worth it though:D

all the best and have fun with the rest of your course

Finnatic

I have had two pool sessions and although it has taken me some time to get comfortable breathing under the water (!) I too feel really excited about being able to dive properly!! I am using the clubs equipment at the mo and having a smile on my face makes my mask leak slightly!! This doesn't stop me though - I am going out to buy my own mask soon so I can still smile everytime I feel pleased with myself for doing something new!!!

WaterBaby:crawl:

Scuba lessons should come with a warning........very high potential for addiction.

Congratulations on your pool sessions. If you thiink that was great, just wait until you get in the open water. Amazing, does not even begin to describe what you will experience.

Have a blast.

Finnatic once bubbled...
Then he demonstrated the skills he expected us to learn: clearing the mask, retrieving the lost reg and clearing it 2 ways...

Did he show you the third way to clear your reg? Be sure to inhale gently if you try this so you don't inhale water if you didn't get the reg clear, some people say that not everyone can do the "tongue flick method" but it's fun to try! Put the tip of your tongue as far back on the roof of your mouth as you can then "flick" it forward across your top front teeth and out of your mouth into the regulator mouthpiece. :eek:ut: It really does work! You can cheat by simply sticking your tongue into the mouthpiece and pulling it back before you inhale.

Just a little entertainment value skill!
Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom