3 days in Gili Trawangan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the big players on Gili T will take care of you and be certain you are diving with others of similar ability...or at least who wont hold you back. I would head to Blue Marlin or Manta Dive as they are both good people. You will probably find more people with experience at Blue Marin as they do a bunch of tech stuff too.

There is plenty of macro to shoot. You will find all the usual Indo creatures: nudis, ghost pipefish, scorpionfish, rhino pious, leaf scorpion fish, porcelain crabs, orang crabs, etc.. You will see more turtles than anything else.

Most of the time the water is warm and currents are pretty chill. Nor will you be expected to dive past 30 meters.

Best advice I can give you is if possible switch your stay to Gili Air. Do some reading about the difference bewteen Gili Air and Gili T. I suspect Gili Air is much more your speed...it certainly is mine. That being said all three islands are magical and my favorite non-hardcore diving spot in Indonesia.

Hi Matt, thanks for the advice and I would change to g air but I have already commited to accomodation in G T. I am going again in October and will go to GA then. It is encouraging that there is some macro stuff there and I am really looking forward to it.
On second thoughts I may be able to change my booking will let you know.
regards

Just checked and it is paid for so no cancellation. Pity I did not speak to you before booking.

Menno - Do you think Gili T is ready for a 71 year old party animal doing the macarena?? I don't think so, think I chose the wrong island.

Just checked and it is paid for so no cancellation. Pity I did not speak to you before booking.

Menno - Do you think Gili T is ready for a 71 year old party animal doing the macarena?? I don't think so, think I chose the wrong island.

I think you'll fit right in like that! Age is nothing but a number as they say...:wink: In all seriousness, although Gili T is known as the 'party island', I'm pretty sure you should be able to find a few laidback beach bars and restaurants. Let us know how the trip was!

I'm on Gili Air now with 20 ninth graders (Ack). I took these pics on two dives yesterday… Simon's Reef and Han's Reef. It cracks me up when people say the diving in the Gili's isn't any good. I felt pretty content on both dives.

Gili Air, Indonesia w/ JIS 2018 | Facebook

Well I am here and it is a beautiful if totally chaotic island. I joined the battle for the horse carts, which looks like a queue but is in fact a first come first served and after one hour I managed to grab one.

The hotel is lovely (Jali Resort) and will try a dive tomorrow morning.

thanks all for the advice and will definitely go to G Air next time.

Bye the way had 4 great days in Tulamben in LDR and shot several new to me species inc Bumble Bee Shrimp.

Frankly, I'd skip G Air. The diving IMHO was not very good. Go to Nusa Lembongan. You can see mantas, molds and nudis. The guys who ran the shop I dive with teased me a lot at Manta Point because I had my camera pointed down while mantas flew over me. Went to G Air and was really, really disappointed in the diving.

Back
Top Bottom