3 days in Thailand: Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Aloha, travelling to Thailand later this year, with three days set aside for diving. Flying out from Bangkok on Sunday afternoon Sept 1st and flying back Thursday afternoon Sept 5th. I am an advanced diver- just started my DM internship here in Hawaii.

So given three days, where should I go? I would prefer somewhere with more backpackers and nightlife.

In September you'll find the backpackers in the Gulf (mostly on Koh Tao and Koh Pha Ngan) or on Phuket island (in the town of Patong). The diving from Phuket is generally considered more interesting.

Phuket is not exactly known for its backpacker vibe. For that Koh Tao, Koh Phangan and Koh Phi Phi are by far the better places.

For diving the Andaman Sea is year round the best place, so that means I'd recommend you to go to Phi Phi.

Theres a pretty thriving backpacker party scene on Railay East - fly into Phuket, take a taxi from the airport (if you're hanging to get wet there is a little dive spot just near the airport - Nai Yang- with a small wreck) around 2500bht - 5000bht (depends on taxi mafias mood) and drive down to Ao Nang and dive Phi Phi and the three dive superday (Anenome, Koh Doc Mai and Shark Point) from Ao Nang. If you do decide to stay at railay - hotels on the west where you get the amazing sunsets will set you back a bit, east is backpackers/springbreakers play ground - you will need to remember transport back to the mainland is by longtail only. Koh Tao is always popular with the back packer set.

Yes, forgot about Railey, another option.

No diving at Nai Yang in September though, and hardly ever a boat from Ao Nang goes to Koh Doc Mai, too far out of the way from there, better from Phuket. King Cruiser wreck though is an option from Ao Nang, Phi Phi and Phuket.

Railay is definitely backpacker-friendly, as is Phi Phi. There are plenty of backpackers on Phuket as well, especially in low season when lodging prices are lower. It's just that it's not predominantly backpackers, as Tao, Railay, and Phi Phi are. Other places that are backpacker-friendly are Koh Lanta, which used to shut down in low season but lately only slows down a bit (also not predominantly backpackers), and Koh Lipe, which might have a couple of shops open in low season, but with many closed for the season (mainly backpackers). Places that are "quiet" in September may not have the degree of nightlife that you seek, though, Suneal. The busiest places will be Tao/Pha Ngan and Patong. If you want something with a Honolulu-like variety of options, you'll want Patong. If you want something more like Haleiwa (but without the surf), go to Tao.

+1 for Koh Tao if backpacker and nightlife are a prerequisite. Diving can be good at times- I remember seeing both bull sharks and a whaleshark during a single dive at Chumphon Pinnacle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom