3 From Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Just got back from a 7 day live-aboard trip on the Sun Dancer 2, mainly hitting the Lighthouse Atoll area but 2 dives at Sandy Slope in the Turneffe region. Saw a range of things; a few stumped me.

This grouper has the form of a tiger grouper (I saw blacks, tigers, Nassau and at least one other kind), but the patterning on it has me stumped. Maybe 2 to 3 feet long? Photographed at depth, so color unknown.

thumb_IMG_9215_1024_zpstkfva34u.jpg

Only pipefish I've ever seen; thanks, Simon (a dive guide). I'm guessing what kind will remain a mystery.

thumb_IMG_9412_1024_zpsuozdbfs1.jpg

Is this a Cero?

thumb_IMG_9343_1024_zpsruhdmtig.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

your grouper appears to be a black grouper - there are several variations and the black grouper is the only large grouper that has spots and no bars. i could be wrong.

yep - a pipefish, by the bands i guess a shortfin. I have never seen them out of their hole. similar to pikeblenny.

and a cero - a very "tall" one. most ceros i have seen are longer.

did you get to see any bulldozer shrimps? always at the top of my list for belize...

The grouper is a Tiger grouper, Myctoperca tigris Shorefishes - Gallery

The Tiger grouper can vary it’s pattern dramatically and sometimes, like in this image, the bars totally disappear.

Back
Top Bottom