3 Minute safety stop - required?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
Is the 3 minute safety stop required? I thought I had heard that it is a 'recommended' safety stop and that if you hit a Pressure Group that requires a deco stop then it is required -

Am I just delusional?

Every dive is a deco dive............

Addict:
Is the 3 minute safety stop required? I thought I had heard that it is a 'recommended' safety stop and that if you hit a Pressure Group that requires a deco stop then it is required -

Am I just delusional?

NDL's are called no decompression limits for a reason...They are the times where a test case well-fit person will likely not get DCS if they surface on or before those times...

Divers who dive within the NDL's do three minute stops to increase their safety...Not required, but I do them always...heh

A three minute *safety stop* at 15' is not optimal in my opinion.

It all depends of course on how deep, how long, what you are breathing, water temp/viz/current, dive profile, exertion level, egress options, subsequent dive plans,how you feel along with other parameters such as general health as well gas remaining, weather conditions topside, ect.

I prefer to ascend along a curve that approximates the normal decay curve: ever slower as I approach the surface.

To me, for example, a 50 minute square profile dive to 60' on air with an ascent rate of 30' fpm to 15' and then a 3 minute hang followed by a direct ascent to the surface is not what I consider prudent.

Addict:

Am I just delusional?
no recommended the words of PADI.
The rdp should say its a very good idea to do a 3/15 but IN THEORY you will be OK to go to the surface if you have too IE to rough to stop? or a air supply issue
As long as you are still not over the black box time there is no theoretical reason why you can come up at 60 ft per min all the way.
You should have and is highly recommended the any dive to within 3 pressure groups(handily shaded Grey) any dive below 100 ft/ 30 mtr is 3/ft any dive to a black box limit, its HIGHLY recommended to any diver to make a saftey stop easy to plan into a dive plan the dive dive the plan make a stop.

Ok. The reason for the question:

I know someone who was on a night dive 30'-40' for 29min. At min 29 she lost a weight pocket and ascended to the surface - quite rapidly (maybe 5-10sec). Luckily the divemaster saw the problem -was there in seconds. Got her one of his weights, within a minute or two she was back at 15' for a safety stop.

After the dive, she was flipping out worried about the bends. Shortly after (1/2 hour) - feeling numbness, tingling. I thought it was psychosomatic & the divemaster wasn't too worried, but we went in to the dive doc that night for a check-up. He didn't seem worried. No deco chamber required.

This dive was the last of a 11 dive trip. The dive prior was completed about 7 hours prior. Diving schedule was 2 morning dives a day depths on the first averaged 80' second was 40'.

The question has been brought up - was that a really dangerous ascent, or was it more 'unadvised' then dangerous. Were the symptoms real or psychosomatic?

Addict:
Ok. The reason for the question:

I know someone who was on a night dive 30'-40' for 29min. At min 29 she lost a weight pocket and ascended to the surface - quite rapidly (maybe 5-10sec). Luckily the divemaster saw the problem -was there in seconds. Got her one of his weights, within a minute or two she was back at 15' for a safety stop.

After the dive, she was flipping out worried about the bends. Shortly after (1/2 hour) - feeling numbness, tingling. I thought it was psychosomatic & the divemaster wasn't too worried, but we went in to the dive doc that night for a check-up. He didn't seem worried. No deco chamber required.

This dive was the last of a 11 dive trip. The dive prior was completed about 7 hours prior. Diving schedule was 2 morning dives a day depths on the first averaged 80' second was 40'.

The question has been brought up - was that a really dangerous ascent, or was it more 'unadvised' then dangerous. Were the symptoms real or psychosomatic?

If she went from 30 feet to the surface in 10 seconds, that is an ascent rate of 180 feet per minute. 40 feet to the surface in 5 seconds would be 480 feet per minute. Both of those seem a tad fast to me. Seems like the DM made a very fast ascent also.

What of her symptoms subsequently? It is surprising to me that with those immediate reported symptoms and that unfortunate dive profile she was not diagnosed with DCS. I suppose that if one knows the symptoms of DCS and is convinced that one has it you might have "psychosomatic" symptoms but I would think the physician would take the reported symptoms at face value considering the details of the dive. The question that remains is: Is a retroactive safety stop of any value after blowing an ascent?

Denial is the first sign of DCS.

Look at UP's post.

After a weeks diving there would be a build up in the system :06:

Was she diving of a 'putor or repetative dives planned on tables :06:

Back
Top Bottom