3 PADI Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinl4270

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1. Should I renew my membership to the PADI Diving Society?
2. When is their "new" website going to be finished?
3. Why don't they have a presence here on Scuba board?

My two PSI:

1. Should I renew my membership to the PADI Diving Society? - If you want to buy what they are selling. I don't think it is terribly good value.
2. When is their "new" website going to be finished? - Never. Eventually they will start a new re-design which will overtake it.
3. Why don't they have a presence here on Scuba board? - Same reason you don't see black people at KKK rallies.

I remember being e-mailed by some PADI marketing guy asking for my views on whether PADI should set up its own message board as a counterpart to SB and DMX, etc. I told them pretty frankly the only way a board becomes popular is if you allow people to speak freely and express opinions you don't like. That is pretty much at odds with the PADI control freakery. Couldn't see them allowing free discussions on solo diving, breaking NDLs, underwater hunting, and all sorts of other things PADI likes to pretend never happen.

1. If you want the magazine. I have never used any of the coupons or whatever else comes with it.

2. Websites are always evolving so they are never really finished. Right?

3. Too much PADI bashing on this board whether deserved or not. It would take 2 full time employees just to defend themselves here. Not worth the effort or expense because the ones doing the bashing are not going to change their minds.

I think better questions would be...

What... is your name?
What... is your quest?
What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Yes, I've got to get a life. Panama City is killing me.

I think better questions would be...

What... is your name?
What... is your quest?
What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

An African swallow or a European swallow?

:mooner:

I agree there's not a lot of apparent value in being a PADI member. Their magazine is pretty awful and their gear "reviews" are um, highly suspect.

That being said, I keep renewing mainly for the annual resort issue that comes out in November--I love to dream--and for the piece of schwag they use to bribe me. I can always use another baseball cap, and the mini-bag that they currently offer is actually a pretty handy piece of gear for the gym.

There is a lot of PADI bashing here, so I can see why they don't want to be on ScubaBoard. Who wants to have to ignore "Why do you suck so bad?" threads all day? I think SB would benefit greatly from having a PADI presence, but I'm not so sure it would go both ways.

There's very little PADI bashing here (or elsewhere for that matter). There are sincere disagreements over the quality of PADI's standards.

Years ago, I was working with someone in PADI Headquarters on a project involving standards. I had questions about some of the standards and she was very happy to answer my questions. I mentioned that on various message boards (this one and others) there were frequently disagreements, even between PADI instructors, over what is meant by various parts of PADI standards. I was told PADI's official policy is to never participate in such discussions even when things are being said that clearly violate PADI standards. The impression I got was they like having their standards vague because it gives them more wiggle room and reduces their liability.

It would be a right donnybrook at first but I really believe that if someone came on here with official stances and eliminated any vagueness they might find it not so hostile seeming. I remember talking in person with the local PADI rep in this area a couple years ago. It was right after I joined SB and I asked him if he knew about it. His response was that he tried it here for awhile but they "tore him apart" . He would not say what he meant by that.

I'd just like them to come on here, state an official position and why it is that way.

NOW number 3 was just **** funny :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Made my day
My two PSI:

1. Should I renew my membership to the PADI Diving Society? - If you want to buy what they are selling. I don't think it is terribly good value.
2. When is their "new" website going to be finished? - Never. Eventually they will start a new re-design which will overtake it.
3. Why don't they have a presence here on Scuba board? - Same reason you don't see black people at KKK rallies.

I remember being e-mailed by some PADI marketing guy asking for my views on whether PADI should set up its own message board as a counterpart to SB and DMX, etc. I told them pretty frankly the only way a board becomes popular is if you allow people to speak freely and express opinions you don't like. That is pretty much at odds with the PADI control freakery. Couldn't see them allowing free discussions on solo diving, breaking NDLs, underwater hunting, and all sorts of other things PADI likes to pretend never happen.

Yeah I keep asking myself what I am actually getting out of the membership. I would love to be able to manage my certs online with them, but they keep delaying that portion of their new website. It now says it will be completed first quarter of 2010. You would think they could atleast update that.
I am shocked that they do not have an official presence here. Seeing that and the website have issue have pretty much answered question number one for me.
SDI Rescue Diver course will be the next rung on my diving educational ladder.

Back
Top Bottom