3 Sites...Brisbane to Cairns...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElmDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know this is probably an impossible question to answer but I would like people's views anyway!

I am travelling to Oz at the end of March after some great diving in NZ and am doing the Taka Osprey Reef liveabord at the end of April. However I have a couple of weeks to get from Brisbane to Cairns and would like to do a bit of diving on the way up. I have spent far too much money so am trying to limit myself to three 'trips' or six dives. I would greatly appreciate anyone's recommendations however impossible and stupid the question seems!

I have provisionally put the Yongala wreck on my itinerary.

Thanking you in advance.

ElmDiver

Well, you could try Stradbroke Island. That's just outside the coast of Brisbane. It usually offers some great diving. I'm actually kinda advertising here, since a friend of mine is a diving instructor on the dive resort on the island. :p It offers some easy diving. But there are loads of things to see. Although... I heard the viz is pretty 'bad' there at the moment. Let's hope it'll clear up by the end of the month. I can't exactly find the link to their website, but I'll keep looking if you still want it. :wink:

Ramón

Wolf Rock, 3-4 hrs north of Brisbane - www.wolfrockdive.com.au - is fab.

The Yongala - there are various operators, just do a search.

The price in Aus (outside of Cairns, anyway!) is around the A$100 mark for a double boat dive inc tanks and weights, and another A$60 or so if you need to hire all your gear. If you are on a tight budget, be aware that the Yongala is extremely expensive as a one day boat dive - close to A$200 with tanks and weights. If you want to get the most bang for your buck in terms of number of dives you could consider a liveaboard out of Townsville - Diving Dreams and Pro Dive Townsville are two that offer 2-3 day liveaboards, which tend to do a couple on the Yongala and then a few on various reefs around there - can't comment on the quality but certainly more economical per dive.

Hope you have a good time - I am doing a very similar trip (taka then overland from Cairns - Townsville to dive the Yongala) in early April! Will have to compare notes afterwards....

I traveled from Brisbane to Cairns back in 2002 and dived along the way. I did 2 dives in Brisbane with Pro Dive www.prodivemilton.com.au There is an artifical reef made from 20+ wrecks we dove and it is real easy to do 3-4 wrecks in one dive. It's Curtin Wrecks in Moreton Bay. I also did a 3 night/3 day liveaboard out of Bundaberg with Salty's Dive Centre. Dove the southern great barrier reef. It was nicer then the GBR was out of Cairns. Reef was in great shape and I highly recommend it. I know you are trying to cut costs but hey when will you go back. Just do it! Also did a trip out of Airle Beach to the GBR around the Whitsundays. That was with Reef Dive. The diving was good but given the choice I'd go with Salty's in Bundaberg. Any way I did 3 liveaboards out of Cairns including Taka II. The other 2 were Pro Dive and Rum Runner. The trip with Rum Runner was out to the Coral Sea and the Holmes reef. There is no place like Holmes. Great viz and tons of sharks and many other things to see. All I can say is do as much as you can and worry about paying for it later. You will be there enjoy it mate your on holiday!

- Chinacat46 aka Chuck

For Brisibane Do a liveaboard Try www.esperancestar.com.au
Prodive, Mantis, Dive dive dive & others use them
Or
Day trips one of the best would be Prodive Milton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom