3 weeks to cave 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With enough length on the plastic straps to fit around a drysuit with a bunch of coldwater thinsulate under it, when I'm diving in MX with a much thinner wrist the dangly bit is pretty big and it seemed to be a cave line magnet last time I was down there
:D Same happned to me but with little help of instructor

Lamont ... PM me if you want a thinner, more flexible hood. I've got several spares that are in good condition (I buy a new one every December). You're welcome to one of them if you want. They're quite comfortable, and warm enough for me diving locally.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

don't be afraid to ditch the hood all together if you wish it all depends on your thermal comfort level. You can always add one later.

For cave 1 I used 200 gram thinsulate + hood. For cave 2 I used 100 gram polar fleece and no hood and was very comfortable. I have conducted up to 3 hour dives with this exposure protection. Weirdly enough for cave 1 you are in the water much more then cave 2, but for cave 2 you are in the cave more then you are in cave 1.

Things to prepare for? Well it seems silly to say for a GUE class, but make sure you are physically fit enough. For the week you are going to be doing a lot of swimming and physical activity. Excessive physical tiredness will lead to mental mistakes.

Don't be afraid to communicate with your team. Each day spend some time debriefing with your team on how to improve things. If others in your team aren't willing to discuss and make changes, then its going to be a long class.

Make sure your gear is in order. Having to deal with gear issues during class will take away from class time.

What you are going to deal with during class is really not much different then your cave 1 class, its just going to be deeper in the cave. Don't rush things. Take your time to get them done right. Attention to detail will be key.

Do you know who your instructor will be? Danny or Chris?

Oh, what Kevin said reminded me . . . Are you guys all staying in the same place? If not, see if you can manage it. You WILL want to talk to one another at night about the day's diving and what to change. We were really hampered by two of us being in one lodging, and the third in another.

Are you guys all staying in the same place? If not, see if you can manage it.
Yes, try do arrange this if possible. You will look less silly :) if three of you walk around backyard with cave line making loops around the trees in the middle of the night - people will think you do something useful. OTOH when you do it alone people will think you're nuts.

don't be afraid to ditch the hood all together if you wish it all depends on your thermal comfort level. You can always add one later.
I'm not sure but I think hood is mandatory for the class.

hoods are "encouraged" - cutting your scalp on the ceiling is allowed but not so good.

Hoods are allowed just as diving in wetsuits are allowed. Its about thermal comfort not about looking like some type of mythical DIR model.

All a hood is there for is to provide extra insulation. Its not to protect your head. If one doesn't need it, then why bring it. Plus I enjoy the freedom of not wearing one. But even so, I still have one in my bag for dives where I might feel extra cold.

In Florida where its 10 degrees colder, I always wear a hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom