$30/$40 dives other than Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicoleallenphoto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So...has anyone been anywhere the diving is as awesome (great reef) and has good prices like $30-$40/dive other than Roatan or Mexico? I'm looking for a new place to go diving with my husband and snorkeling with our 11 year old daughter. Most of the places I've checked are $70-$80 for a 1 tank dive or $100-$120 for a 2 tank dive.

I'm starting to think that maybe going back to Roatan might not be such a bad thing. We paid $70/night for a decent 1 bedroom apartment and dove for $30/dive with all equipment included. Sun Divers also accommodated us with our daughter by finding sites that would work for snorkeling and scuba.

I really want to go some place new, but...if everything is more - room, diving, plane tickets...I might have to reconsider Roatan again.

I pay about $70-80 a night for an apartment with a kitchen (I cook for myself), full bath, bedroom and sitting/dining area. I rent a truck (forget how much) and unlimited air costs $160/week - there are nearly 100 shore dive/snorkel sites. Two tank boat dives are about $50. Many/most can be snorkeled as well. Where - Bonaire.

Bonaire 1 tank boat dives Capt Don $56 which includes tanks for unlimited shore diving that day. Put it in a package and its cheaper

Price flights to Bonaire though and some of that is lost. Plus the hours it takes to get there from Denver. Unless you do the Red-eye thru Houston - midnight to 6AM. And it's IAH not Hobby so you can't fly SW down.

You've changed your criteria quite a bit in terms of needs from your previous thread.

Okay then, how about Utila?

Shopping for dives by price is not a bad thing, but you are missing a key factor in the equation. Depending on the quantity of diving you want, AI can be an easy way to keep the cost per dive to a minimum.

At at an AI in Roatan, for $178 I can get 6 dives a day plus three meals and a very nice room over or next to the Ocean.

When you're buying them for $30-40 per dive, you're diving a lot less. Depends on what you want.

Just stuff to consider.

The link below is for an excellent thread, started by drich2, comparing the cost per dive (including travel, food, and lodging) for various locations.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...dget-florida-caribbean-trips.html#post7422494

We have found that if you want to do a lot of excellent dives then liveaboards are usually your most economical option - even though they may seem expensive at first glance - because you get to do 4 or 5 dives per day, often in pristine locations, and most of your other expenses are covered - but that might not be the best option for a youngster that wants to snorkel and isn't sure about diving.

Other ways to hold down the costs are to rent an apartment or condo away from the touristy areas, prepare many of your meals, and negotiate a dive package deal with a local operator. Another option is to find a small, all-inclusive diver-dedicated resort that includes food, lodging, and diving. We avoid the big all-inclusives because diving isn't usually a priority; we learned that one the hard way at Club Med.

A lot depends on how much diving you want to do, more dives usually means a cheaper cost per dive for the trip. But if you only want to do a few dives a la carte that changes the focus of the trip.

One factor that is important to me, but rarely seems to be considered in the costs/value of a dive location, are the risks and expense of avoiding infectious diseases while on vacation. But that could be an important factor when bringing a child into the tropics. We love Mexico, and Belize, and Roatan and have visited them all multiple times, but we take extra precautions against infection when we visit third world countries and that is an important consideration that also adds to the expense.

Before we go to Belize or Honduras we visit the Travel Medicine clinic and get boosters for all our vaccines including Hepatitis A and Typhoid and we pick up prescriptions for anti-malarial medications to take before, during, and after the trip - and those medical expenses are not entirely covered by insurance and increase the cost of our vacation. And there are no preventions against Dengue or Chikungunya except to avoid getting bites, which is hard to do when you are on the Mosquito Coast.

And the costs and inconvenience of drinking only bottled water is also a factor to consider. There are folks that probably feel that I am over-reacting (and they may be correct) but I am occupationally-inclined to believe in tropical infections, and if the CDC recommends precautions then I tend to pay attention. These risks don't stop us from traveling to the tropics, but they are important items for consideration IMO, but they seldom seem to be factored into decisions about taking (or not taking) a dive trip.

Of course, there are no guarantees wherever you are located. I could get bitten by a mosquito and contract West Nile Virus right in my own back yard. But IMO the higher risks of infection impact the value of a tropical vacation and also add to the actual costs.

What I am saying is that some places may seem really cheap but there are other issues to also be considered. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Nope. Better safe than sorry. Some places it's perfectly safe to drink the water. Where it's questionable I use one of these rather than bottled water: Amazon.com: Sawyer Products SP128 Mini Water Filtration System, Single, Blue

Nice! That looks like a good, inexpensive and versatile product. One word of caution, it will NOT filter out viruses so if you are in an area that has had outbreaks of water-borne Norovirus (like the Turks and Caicos) then you are safer drinking bottled water.

Nice! That looks like a good, inexpensive and versatile product. One word of caution, it will NOT filter out viruses so if you are in an area that has had outbreaks of water-borne Norovirus (like the Turks and Caicos) then you are safer drinking bottled water.

Thanks for the heads up - though I'm not planning on T&C. CoCo View, Glovers and Fakarava/Rangiora.

Utila is dirt cheap. Same or cheaper than Roatan. But the island is a lot smaller and there is much less to do. It's primarily a place for backpackers to go get their OW and party. Not sure I would recommend it for married folks or families.

Ambergris Caye on Belize was pretty reasonable. 2 tank dive for $100 if you are going to the nearby reef. If you want something more exciting out at the atolls (sharks at the Blue Hole!), the price jumps up sharply. Bigger boats, longer rides, more gas. Ambergris has decent accommodations and restaurants and non-diving things to do, like trips to Mayan ruins on the mainland. I really enjoyed my trip there.

Cabo San Lucas is also reasonable, 2 tanks for around $100. Cabo is bustling. AI's, hotels, restaurants, nightlife.

I think the key determinants of price are:
1) how cheap the cost of living in the country is
2) how long the boat ride out to the dive sites is
3) how much competition there is

Back
Top Bottom