360 Degree Lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dprids

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings, fellow scuba enthusiasts!

I'm reaching out to gather insights from those who have experimented with 360 cameras underwater.

My journey started with the Vuze XR about five years ago, and I'm now considering upgrading to the Insta360 X3. I'm intrigued by the Insta360 1-inch for its superior sensor, ideal for underwater use, but the cost of a suitable dive case, as well as the manufacturer's advice against underwater usage, are notable drawbacks.

Now, onto my main query: has anyone successfully designed and used a lighting rig specifically for 360-degree underwater videography? I'm not looking for theoretical ideas, but real-world experiences and solutions. The challenge with lighting in 360-degree videos is avoiding hotspots since the camera captures everything around it. However, with that being said, I will typically ‘point’ the camera at the talent. So, there is sometimes an orientation to an otherwise un-oriented shot. I usually edit these videos in Adobe Premiere using GoPro's reframe plugin, converting them into standard 2D views.

Given that I often 'direct' the camera towards a subject, thereby creating a focal point in the otherwise all-encompassing footage, does anyone have some ideas, sketches, on a light rig for this purpose? I once saw an impressive setup at a manta diving site. They used an Insta360 1-inch mounted on a rod with five dive lights arranged in a 360-degree pattern. It appeared quite costly.

What I'm seeking are practical suggestions for effectively utilizing just two dive lights in a 360-degree filming setup. Any innovative ideas or experiences you can share? I’ve also considered just holding a torch in my other hand because that would be a cool immersive focal shot as well.

Here are some of more recent 360 videos for an example:

Scuba Diving Curacao - The Dark School

Curacao Scuba Diving - The Oil Rig

The wide wide shots would not benefit from a light, but there are some closer shots that may benefit?

Is this a dead forum? Does anyone know of a good forum for asking about underwater videography?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom