37 Degree Fahrenheit Vintage Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Howdy:

Just thought I would report on my first Canadian Vintage Dive. I dove at Waterton National Park this past Sunday May 20th 2007. I dove with 4 other Divers( in New Gear) to the the Wreck of "The Gertrude" a turn of the Century Paddle Wheeler that sank in Emerald Bay in Upper Waterton Lake at the start of the Last Century. Max Depth was 50 ft and Bottom Temp was a balmy 37 Degrees. Run Time was 29 Minutes, my buddies actually got too cold and thumbed the dive early. Viz was an impressive 6 to 8feet.

DSC04843.jpg

I dove a set of Twin 72's with Dacor Valve on a USD Backpack and A Late Model Royal AquaMaster with a Repro Deep Blue Oval Mask. The Rest of my gear was Modern. I actually had a lot of fun on this dive, and my buddies were impressed with the simplicity of the gear. I could have done an hour easy with this gear.

Just thought I'd post to prove that vintage diving is not just for warmer waters, I'll be diving a glacier pond with 60 feet viz as soon as it unthaws to get some UW pictures.

BTW many thanks to TurtleGuy for encouraging that cold water Vintage Diving is possible. "You were right, a double hose will not freeflow"

Way to go....what a great time it sounded like!! :D

CatalinaCanuck:
Howdy:

BTW many thanks to TurtleGuy for encouraging that cold water Vintage Diving is possible. "You were right, a double hose will not freeflow"

That is correct.

Double hose regulators are the only regulators were not only the first stage is environmentally sealed, but also the second stage is environmentally sealed. Even your moist exhaust air will not reach the second stage mechanism.

I am far from being a cold water expert (I do live in Maine, but grew up in the Caribbean), but always read about DH regulators being the preferred ice diving regulator (in the arctics etc.) for years after they went out of production.

Nice picture.

Nice setup, and congratulations on your first vintage dive. Welcome to the fold.
If I were you, though, I would dive that glacier pond BEFORE it "unthaws" next Winter:wink:

Aloha Catalina Canuck
Wow, the gear looks great. Sounds like a fun dive. I just did a dive with my Phoenix yesterday. Drift dive, 80 foot max depth, 45 minutes, water temp 77f.
Did some awsome lava tubes, past stars out of Waianae. Only two customers on the boat, and three diving staff. Lisa took some pictures, so when she finishes then I will get them posted. Whats the difference between a cave and a lava tube? With a lava tube you can see light at the other end.
Aloha
Roger

Good to hear you got your Phoenix working

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom