3mm enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IvanM

Registered
Reaction score
I am going on a long weekend in the Adriatic, and the sea temperature is around 23 degrees Celsius, not sure how much that is in Fahrenheit’s. Well my 7mm wetsuit, booties and open heel fins will arrive to my home around 3 days after I leave for the see :) So, I think I can use a 3mm overall without a hood and open heel fins for 3 days of 2 dives per day diving…you think it will be enough or should I rent a 5 or 7mm suit???

IvanM:
So, I think I can use a 3mm overall without a hood and open heel fins for 3 days of 2 dives per day diving…you think it will be enough or should I rent a 5 or 7mm suit???

Much depends on depth and if you'll dive in the north or the south.
Where will you dive?

Beware that you'll most likely find a thermocline at about 14/18 mt that can go down as far as 16 deg Celsius.

Personally I'd at least add a hood. Below about 24 I get chilly after 30 minutes in the water with no hood on.

23 is 73 F I think. Ide consider a 5mm-7mm depends on air temp also. I'de go with 5mm over 3mm. 7mm is a possibility.

I will be diving in the central part…you know I totally forgot about the termocline…that’s what happens when you dive only in tropical waters for a while :14: I will probably rent a 7mm…thanks everyone…

Sbesana….I see you are going to Egypt….you will absolutely love Thisleghorm….just an amazing wreck….I hope they will allow you inside, some clubs do and some don’t, but it is an easy penetration dive, and just amazing….

jonnythan:
Personally I'd at least add a hood. Below about 24 I get chilly after 30 minutes in the water with no hood on.

I'd agree with the hood. What you're used to for temperature normally will play a big factor. I'm used to fairly cold water, so a 3mm shorty was plenty for me last March in the Keys with 73 deg water. If I'd been wearing a 7mm I would have cooked like a lobster, even on the Grove.

IvanM:
Sbesana….I see you are going to Egypt….you will absolutely love Thisleghorm….just an amazing wreck….I hope they will allow you inside, some clubs do and some don’t, but it is an easy penetration dive, and just amazing….

Thanks!

It'll be an intense week. 17 dives in 6 days... I'll let you all know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom