3mm or 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlemieux

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to get some help on deciding the appropriate thickness for a wetsuit I need for a dive trip I will be taking at the end of May to the Flower Gardens. The water temperature (at the surface) should be about 73F.

Often, manufacturer websites recommend 3mm for temperatures between 70-80 and 5mm for temperatures between 65-75. Abviously, 73F lies in both temperatures ranges, which had left me somewhat confused on the appropriate thickness.

Does anyone have experience diving the Flower Gardens in May or in 73F water with 3 mil and/or 5 mil wetsuites?

Also, what brands would you recommend (I have dove Henderson before and loved it, but I hear good things about Scubapro and Mares)?

Thickness of a wetsuit is really a personal preference ... what works for me might not work for you.
I wear a full 3 mil or I don't dive and the water here NEVER drops below 82 degrees. (even then, I'm considering a hood for the longer dives)

For ME I'd need at least a 7 mil in 73 degree water ... if I were gonna do that a lot, I think I'd consider a drysuit.

But I know other people that can spend all day in the water here and never feel chilled without ANY exposure protection.

SO..... this is a question you're gonna have to figure out for yourself... On a trip like that you'd be better to err on the thick side ... better to be too warm than too cold.

I get cold fairly easily (and like to stay warm while diving) and would at minimum use a 5 mm two peice suit witha hood at that temperature. However, for 73 degrees, particularly if I was diving deep (below 30 ft) or doing more than a couple of dives, I'd use a 7 mm suit.

I'm sure some else will write and explain how they only use a 3 mm shorty when the water is above 65 degrees, it's all personal tolerance and preference.

Ralph

this weekend. I normally dive a 3mm two-piece but was going to use a 5mm one-piece with a 2mm vest, hood, gloves for the temps there (72-73F).

I tend to chill after multiple dives and being cold is no fun.

Go with the 5mil. From when i was there it was 68-70 and i was chilly. Even with a 3mil full suit and a 5mil shorty on.

I think I'd opt for a 3mm Jump and keep a core warmer in my bag in case it got chilly.

Of course I only have a Henderson 3mm Aquasuede and a 7mm/5mm Pinnacle Polar Merino. In 73F water that Pinnacle would probably kill me from heat :) Since it was quite nice at 44F

jlemieux:
I would like to get some help on deciding the appropriate thickness for a wetsuit I need for a dive trip I will be taking at the end of May to the Flower Gardens. The water temperature (at the surface) should be about 73F.

Often, manufacturer websites recommend 3mm for temperatures between 70-80 and 5mm for temperatures between 65-75. Abviously, 73F lies in both temperatures ranges, which had left me somewhat confused on the appropriate thickness.

Does anyone have experience diving the Flower Gardens in May or in 73F water with 3 mil and/or 5 mil wetsuites?

Also, what brands would you recommend (I have dove Henderson before and loved it, but I hear good things about Scubapro and Mares)?

I dive year around above 65F in my 3mm (typically it can get up to high 70's in the summer, so that should be fine too), i used my 5mm when the water went down to 59F, and i was very toasty in that!

It depends on if you are a cold or warm person. I can spend about an hour in the water (due to air consumption) at a time, then after a tank change (or SI if needed) its straight back in again! I am not sure if by changing up to a toasty suit i will improve my air consumption or not. I am not roasting in the 3mm, but it is comfortable.

I think it would be a stretch for me to stay warm at that temp in a 5mm. We just got back from a week of diving in Roatan where the water was 81 degrees and I was just fine in a 5mm full, although there were a few times later in the week that I ended up wearing a hood, but to each his own, my wife and I were the only ones on our boat in 5 mil suits, everyone else, including my kids wore 3 mil, except for the DM who opted not to wear a wetsuit at all. If you ask me though, 73 is cold, I personally wouldn't even consider a 3mm.

jlemieux:

As already said, personal preference plays a large factor in what is considered comfortable temperature. If you can beg, borrow or rent a 3mm and a 5mm or combinations of them and try them out in a pool, that might give you an idea of your own comfort level.

As far as the brand, that in some ways is also a matter of preference. Not everyone cuts the suits the same, or offers the same sizes/options/etc. I myself use Bare because I like the fit, but I've heard good things about Henderson and Mares suits. Again I would say if you can, go down to the dive shop and try on the different brands to see if any fit better or worse on your frame. A poorly fitted suit isn't going to offer nearly as good performance even if it's a top line product.

jlemieux:

Mares)?

It depends on your body shape (tall, thin people need thicker
suits) but also on if it is your fist or second dive. What I'd do
is bring a flexible kit. A thinner suit but also a vest or hooded
vest, gloves and whatever then you can put more or less of it
on as required.

The other idea is to bring a thick suit and if you over heat
strech open the neck a little to let in some cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom