3mm or 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ_Albertson:
It depends on your body shape (tall, thin people need thicker
suits) but also on if it is your fist or second dive. What I'd do
is bring a flexible kit. A thinner suit but also a vest or hooded
vest, gloves and whatever then you can put more or less of it
on as required.

The other idea is to bring a thick suit and if you over heat
strech open the neck a little to let in some cold water.

Hey, I use a thinner suit. Are you suggesting I'm not tall and thin?

I appreciate all of your comments.

As it turns out, I had gotten the wrong statistics for the water temperature at the Flower Gardens in late May. Apparently, it will be closer to 78.

I may just augment my Henderson 1mm Microprene with a 3mm "core warmer" and/or tropical hood.

Again, thanks to eveyrone for their insights.

Yea, 73 sounds a little cool for late May in the Gulf. It will probably be 4 or 5 degrees cooler on Stetson though, but you will probably only dive twice there on the last day.

I just got back from a Blackbeards cruise to the Port Lucaya area of the Bahamas where the water was 73 degrees on every dive. I get cold fairly easy and came real close to bringing my drysuit but opted for a 3mm full with a 3mm hooded vest. I would get cold near the end of dives but maintained my core temp seemingly well. I was always ready to get back in for the next dive.
Maybe I'm not the wimp I thought I was...

Back
Top Bottom