3mm Wetsuit for Hubby for Xmas - Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littleguppie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm planning to purchase my hubby a 3mm shorty wetsuit for xmas and I've narrowed it down to these 2. Which one would you choose?

Pinnacle 3mm Shorty from Leisure Pro for $60 : http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=PINSP3M&CategoryID=982&CategoryName=&Context=980&Sort=Relevance&DescSort=0&Filter=flid_982_4=239:flid_982_3=230:flid_982_2=227&Page=1&Hit=1

Henderson 3mm Thermoprene from scuba.com for $116 (free wetsuit heater tossed in): http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-258/056836/Henderson-3mm-Thermoprene-Front-Zip-Shorty-Wetsuit.html

The Henderson is a slanted front zip all the way down to the leg which I kinda like, but have been trying to research if there are any downsides to a front zip and it really just seems to be preference. This
wetsuit will mostly be for when we just do some snorkeling in tropical locations. Likely not for diving as we get too cold pretty much everywhere in a 3mm.

I guess I'm wondering if the Henderson is basically worth paying double for. Is it that much better of a wetsuit? If it is, I have no issue spending the extra money, but don't want to just b/c of a brand
name or something.

Thanks

For a shorty in warm water,I do not think it would make any difference,I would go with the Pinnacle. I use a 3mill shorty from divers supply,it came free with a 3mm full suit for 60 dollars for both. It is a sea elite brand.

thanks divinginn! Anyone else care to chime in?

btw...something happened to my account (major technical difficulties...emailed for help to fix it and never heard back so was forced to create a new account. I'm littleguppie2 now.

One more thing...would it be advantageous to have the Henderson b/c it's front zip and that would allow for the flexibility in the future to add a farmer john underneath if needed. Is that somthing people would ever do? A 3mm shorty with a farmer john underneath??

I have no experience with the specific suits you mention. But between us, my wife and I own 7 Henderson suits and have nothing but good things to say about them.

One more thing...would it be advantageous to have the Henderson b/c it's front zip and that would allow for the flexibility in the future to add a farmer john underneath if needed. Is that somthing people would ever do? A 3mm shorty with a farmer john underneath??

I bought the Henderson hyper stretch 4/3 farmer john combination, and in almost 20 years of diving and several suits of many different brands and types. This is by far the best wet suit I have ever owned. It gives me 7 mil in the torso, but gives better flexibility and buoyancy characteristics than a 7 mil suit. I use both pieces in all but the warmest of water.

I'm not sure if their shorty is the same as their farmer john top, it may be. I would give leisure pro a call, I'd be surprised if they are not able to help you out, I've always been very impressed with their service. Hope this helps.

I'm biased against a front zipper wetsuit after my experience with a front zip 7mm in California. I found the front zipper scooped up cold water into the front chest, which is a critical area. Front zipper is fine in a drysuit but not wet IMO.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom