4 PIN Computers / Backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello -
I recently had my depth sensor fail in my shearwater Petrel, the fisher port also had a pin that i must have damaged somehow. (Not a fan of fisher ports)

Anyway I purchased a shearwater Petrel 4 PIN, MUCH better, no more fisher port to deal with (YEA!!!)

my question. - Is there any other technical dive computers that offer a 4 PIN cable option to read oxygen cells?
I can find other tech computers that have fisher ports, but I dont want to go back to that again.

I am looking for a backup 4 PIN computer, but would like to save a bit of $ vs buying another Petrel

sadly not, and unfortunately you can only buy the 4-pins through the rebreather manufacturers, they won't let the dealers sell them. It's an idiotic policy, but oh well

So no other companies are offering or selling dive computers that offer 4 PIN ? any other rebreather companies offering other dive computers or only shearwater at this time?

So no other companies are offering or selling dive computers that offer 4 PIN ? any other rebreather companies offering other dive computers or only shearwater at this time?
I wonder if a certain someone would be able to splice a 4Pin into a Fischer for you and epoxy over the splice.

That said, if you’re on a KISS unit (and fine with one monitor) just keep a second cable set. I have a wiring harness for a 4pin Nerd and one for a Fischer Petrel in the box as a backup.

Edit: I also can’t stand Fischer cables. There’s an old RBW guide online that talks about maintaining them. Don’t leave them connected to computer when not using. Mineral oil drop before each connection. Don’t use in stingy eye water.

That is a smart idea, I will hold onto my working fisher cable to use as a backup.

I have that guide on maintaining fisher ports, I feel I followed it. however if you bump or move the fisher port on the computer, the pins can be damaged, and cause your cells to not read properly. happened to me several times. I feel when I DON my LEFT stage, my wrist was bumping against my main side-mount tank and it was bumping the fisher port slightly. I started taking my computer off or moving it way back so it wouldn't bump my tank. that helped, but damage already done.

short answer is no to the 4-pin. DiveSoft sells a really nice alternative to the Petrel that uses a non-****** connector but the cables are only available from Narked @ 90, who can also convert most computers over to the 4-pins or sell them to you directly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom