4 weeks recovered from Barotrauma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
4 weeks recovered from middle-ear barotrauma suffered during OW certification dives...made 5 dives this past weekend to depth of a 51' with no difficulty...recalling my OW dives, I attribute my injury to equalizing too forcefully and well, shall I say, a less-than-controlled descent...after a week's course of methylprednisolone and decongestants, I was given clearance by ENT to dive once again...this past weekend's dives were simply outstanding...descent, slow and controlled...equalization, frequent and not forced...glanced at computer...47' and glowing with confidence! Cozumel bound in 3 days and happy to be leaving 7mm, gloves and hood behind!
OW dive injury was a lesson well learned and everyone's feedback has been a message well taken...this I will take with me on every dive!

Glad to hear the injury was minor and the recovery complete. :) Have a safe and wonderful trip to Coz...!!

You've made some great progress back to "diving health" in only 4 weeks, O'Malley. Congrats! :dance:

Have fun in Coz. :thumb:

4 weeks sounds about right from my very similar experiences. Glad it worked out for you, i think there is a lot of nerves and self-imposed pressure to get down if you have issues equalising and of course the nice overweighting thing that happens (hence the quick descents). Its something you just have to work around and work at so its a pleasant experience and to avoid injury - sounds like you are getting the hang of it though!! Enjoy your Coz trip :wink:

O'Malley:
4 weeks recovered from middle-ear barotrauma suffered during OW certification dives...made 5 dives this past weekend to depth of a 51' with no difficulty...recalling my OW dives, I attribute my injury to equalizing too forcefully and well, shall I say, a less-than-controlled descent...after a week's course of methylprednisolone and decongestants, I was given clearance by ENT to dive once again...this past weekend's dives were simply outstanding...descent, slow and controlled...equalization, frequent and not forced...glanced at computer...47' and glowing with confidence! Cozumel bound in 3 days and happy to be leaving 7mm, gloves and hood behind!
OW dive injury was a lesson well learned and everyone's feedback has been a message well taken...this I will take with me on every dive!
Glad to hear you are back to normal. I am going through the same thing. In the recovery process from middle-ear barotrauma suffered during OW certification dives. Go back to the ENT next week - and hopefully will get the all clear [as a pilot - I'm also grounded until I do get the all clear :(].

I did the same thing - a bit too forceful trying to equalize and didn't control decent well enough. Lessons learned the hard way.

There's too many ear injuries in OW training I think...A little instruction in buoyancy control and practice in descents and ascents avoids the whole issue. That butt first...bombs away plumit is a real killer for the ears.

Back
Top Bottom