$400 for personal equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy inexpensive booties and whatever fins you want, if you're going to be diving colder water, or you can save money if you're going to be diving warm water always and buy full foot fins.
Full foot fins are only worth it if you restrict yourself to boat diving.

Bonaire has excellent warm water shorediving but I wouldn't want to walk there without some booties... :no:

I am a sucker for over-priced equipment: Atomic regulators, a Suunto D9 computer, etc. But I'd really have to work hard to tally up $400 for the basic gear. Here's what I use, and what you can get it for with just a few mouse clicks: $233.54. None of it is a compromise (well, maybe the Blue Reef mesh bag, but who cares?); it is my first choice, with no regard for price. And I threw in the unnecessary (but nice!) premium anti-fog. Add in shipping (free from DiveRiteExpress, cheap from LeisurePro) and you're still a long way from $400.

Mares X-vision mask: $59.95
Mares X-Vision Two Window Mask from LeisurePro.com
ScubaPro snorkel: 5.82 Euro ~$7.27
Scubapro Adjustable. Snorkels Snorkels, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba
ScubaPro booties: 20.69 Euro ~$25.86
Scubapro Boots Delta 5mm With Zip. Accessories Socks - boots, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba
DiveRite fins with spring straps: $120
SCUBA Diving Fins...All-Purpose Fins for All-Purpose Diving
McNett Sea Gold anti-fog drops: $5.50
Mcnett Sea Gold Anti-Fog Gel, 1.25 oz. from LeisurePro.com
Blue Reef mesh duffel bag: $14.95
Blue Reef Mesh Duffel Bag, XL from LeisurePro.com

Full foot fins are only worth it if you restrict yourself to boat diving. :no:

Now why would you say that?:confused:

Gary D.

I spent around $170 for my mask, snorkel, fins and booties at the LDS. The other poster is right, buy the cheapest snorkel you can find, you will never use it.
Snorkel $20 (I bought a roll up one that fits in my BC pocket)
Mask $30 (three sided single lens & purge vavle)
Booties $40
Fins $70

The shop had lower priced fins, but I went with the TUSA Imprex. I just looked online and divers-supply.com has them for $42.
I noticed that you were in TN. If you sign up for divers supply sales emails, you will get notified when they are having their employee discount sale. I happened into the Macon store when they were having one and bought my fiance a complete setup, signed up for the emails and went back last weekend and bought more stuff when they had it again.

Last edited:
and people wonder why I think dive shops are all criminal..

I avoid them all like the plague..

and people wonder why I think dive shops are all criminal..

I avoid them all like the plague..

Why do you say that? Dive shops are required to sell items at a certain price. Shops can discount the items if they want, but if certain manufacturers/vendors find out that they are being sold below MAP (minimum advertised price) or below MSRP (minimum suggested retail price) the shop runs the risk of losing the right to carry their products.

**on another note based on a previous poster: I do not like how high certain items are priced, but don't be a **** and waste an employees time shopping in the store for the right size or brand and then go online to someone like leisurepro.

There was a dive shop somewhere in TN that was the subject of a thread about a year ago, I think. This place was charging OW students a hefty "inspection fee" if they brought their own mask/fins/snorkel to OW class.

If by some chance this is the same place, with prices like $400 for a mask/fins/snorkel combo, I can see why they'd have to resort to thug-like shakedown techniques to keep students from bringing in their own stuff.

Why do you say that? Dive shops are required to sell items at a certain price. Shops can discount the items if they want, but if certain manufacturers/vendors find out that they are being sold below MAP (minimum advertised price) or below MSRP (minimum suggested retail price) the shop runs the risk of losing the right to carry their products.

**on another note based on a previous poster: I do not like how high certain items are priced, but don't be a **** and waste an employees time shopping in the store for the right size or brand and then go online to someone like leisurepro.

Heartily agree. You can save money online, no doubt. Don't waste a LDS's time trying it on there and then buying from LesurePro. :shakehead:

I think you are spending way too much too.

Until you dive more, you won't know what you'll like or want.

Now, after you've been diving awhile, you get quite a list!! :eyebrow:

$200 to $350 shop around but get your mask at a shop fit is critical. try boots and fins together thickness is a factor for both. snorkel up to you nice just for shallow and resting on surface (not using your air) mesh bag for gear and defogger.

I hope this is the right place to post this question, but what should one's personal scuba gear (mask, fins, snorkel) cost? I was in a local shop today and the salesperson introduced me to be their "basic" mix and match package of mask, fins, snorkel, dive boots, bag, anti-fog and maybe a few other incidentals for $399!

I was thinking that this should be in the $200-300 range...am I completely out of touch? Or is this a bit extreme for a "basic" package? BTW, they had an intermediate package which sold for like $500-600.

I would cut & run from this place FAST---& watch out for doorknobs you know where while doing so.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom