4000 Years Under the Sea by Philippe Diole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Picture051.jpg

First published in 1954, this second book by Philippe Diole (his first being The Undersea Adventure) describes some early archeological explorations of the Mediteranean and the hypotheses of ancient life derived from them. He takes the reader from Marseille to Northern Africa and by using clues uncovered in the sea he illustrates many notions related to the effect of water transportation on culture. The "Romanization" of the Mediteranean, the pre existing civilization of Gaul, the influence of seafaring Phoenicians and Greeks and much more. Throughout the book Philippe makes it clear that he is primarily an archeologist who uses diving to advance his studies. But he's still one heck of a diver. There are passing references to JYC, Philippe Tailliez and the "Club Alpin Sous-Marin" to name a few icons from that era.

This is more of an archeological book than a diving book per se, but Philippe clearly love of the sea; and the importance he places on the scientific exploration of it is echoed on nearly every page. It is a bit wordy, and definately isn't a casual dive a log. I would say it is more of a snapshot look into early UW archeology, told by one of its pioneers.

As Philippe would say:

"one needs to have a wild enthusiasm, a vocation for self sacrifice, to spend one's days in this incessant search, surrendering all else to its pursuit. Since its foundation, the Club Alpin Sous-Marin has registered 7000 dives between Cannes and the Islands of Lerins, but, has but a partial knowledge of the depths, so vast is the sea. More often than not, our only trophies are treasured scraps of animal life which we carry before us in cupped hands, only to see their colours fade as we approach the light of day.The boat is far off: the air in our cylinders is giving out, but we swim with our legs alone rather than risk the loss of such jewels... and then, when evening comes, we fall asleep with our arms flung out upon the table, exausted as the result of too much blue water, relaxed, and with the fingertips as wrinkled as those of any washerwoman."

Very very good report!

I would like to suggest that in the future you provide a LCCC# and/or ISBN #

The LCCC # on my copy of "4000 years under the sea" is 54-6762 and is published by Julian Messner of NYC. I note that your copy has a diffferent cover than mine..Is yours hard cover or paper back?

Both of my copies of "Undersea adventure" donot have a LCCC# and/or ISBN rather a copyright of 1953

His third book is "Underwater exploration," 1954, published by ELEK in London and Ryerson press in Canada,This book also does not have a LCCC# and/or ISBN rather a copyright of 1954. To my knowledge it was never printed in the US.

All of the above listed books are hard cover with dust jackets.

Dale you are doing an outstanding job! -- Keep searching and certainly keep sharing your finds with this thread
SDM

Hi Dale,

Your copy seems to be in excellent condition. My diving library was unfortunately damaged in a move about 20 years ago and I haven't replaced it. Thanks for the reminder; another item to add to my list for Santa. :)

Wayne

I discovered another Diole book that had been misfiled;

"the Gates to the Sea" (Les portes de la mer)
1953, Julian Messner, NYC
copyright only - no ISBN or LCCC numbers
hard back, dust jacket

Also published in Canada by Copp Clark Co Ltd in 1953

Sam, this one doesn't have an ISBN or LCCC number. Paperback, 1957, published by Pan Books Ltd. London.
I buy PB's whenever I find them for the content (and to lend out) and then augment with HC's when/if I find them. Thanks for the updated list of Dioles books. I do like his style of writing and would like to read his first book (in particular). The search continues!
Wayne, do you want a collectable copy or just one to read? If you just want a reader I'll send this one to you.

Back
Top Bottom