40D questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are going to Roatan next month
Any advice for a starting point?

Any chance you are headed to Cocoview? If yes - your starting point would be to set up an appointment with Tim Blanton - the photo pro there. If no - since you have only mentioned the stock lens I suspect you have the 6" WA port. Be sure to shoot in RAW so white balance won't be a problem and if you have any light try not to use that strobe. The DS125 is a wonderful strobe best used for macro or for close shots. You've got a Ferrari for a camera - let it breath.. And as you said, shoot and play all week. If you're doing that - I'd suggest you bring a laptop with CS2/3 as the Jpegs won't look very good (at least mine never do).

Have fun. I'll be in Roatan in 8 weeks. Can't wait..

I can verify that the Sigma 18-200 OS is a very good lens even though a lot of die hards are having a hard time believing an 11 X zoom can be any good, plus it's well built.
Re the 40D if this is your first DSLR and you are just beginning to learn how to use it without a thorough understanding of all the modes use P rather than Auto, it will make more logical decisions. Spend your time learning how to quickly apply exposure compensation or flash exposure compensation untill you have a good knowledge of the Av, Tv or M modes.
Downloadable full file samples from a Sigma 18-200 OS on a 40D are here, along with many other lens / body combos I have, with more to be added.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom