5-point Ascent and Descent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to say, "Style, Technique, Originality, Speed, and Safety", but the question was already answered. :biggrin:

(Oooooh! Change "Speed" to "Velocity" and it can spell "STOVeS". :D)

Bubble Junky:
Ascent = STELA:
S = Signal
T = Time
E = Extend (Superman position)
L = Look up
A = Ascend

Out of curiosity, is "look up" a quick check to see that your way is clear (to be done numerous times throughout)? Or are students taught to look up the whole time?

Bubble Junky:
I tell my students it's a good idea to keep checking both up and with their buddy.

I would too (if I had students, that is).

Thanks for the clarification. I know it's just a little mnemonic, but it was ambiguous to my eyes.

Blackwood:
I would too (if I had students, that is).

Thanks for the clarification. I know it's just a little mnemonic, but it was ambiguous to my eyes.
No worries. Yeah, I just posted the basics, not the full briefing of the skill I'd give to students.

Everytime I see the "5 Point Descent" thread title, I think about 3 point landings and imagine a diver hitting the bottom hands, feet, and head simultaneously.

Just can't get the image out of my head. :banana:

Charlie99:
Everytime I see the "5 Point Descent" thread title, I think about 3 point landings and imagine a diver hitting the bottom hands, feet, and head simultaneously.

Just can't get the image out of my head. :banana:
You're not alone, but as I was having trouble visualizing the corresponding five-point ascent, I went with a different tack for my reply. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckyll
I thought you actually meant being horizontal in the water instead of going 'heads up'...

Bubble Junky:
Ahh. No - that would be a nightmare to teach on OW !!

I think it works fine in an OW class ant it helps avoid the infamous "butt first plummit".

I like to descend horizontally, like a parachutist. I do a bob and exhale at the surface (after deflating BC) and my body immediately assumes a horizontal posture.

Is there anything wrong with this? I can still see my buddy and have a better view of what is beneath me. It also keeps me from finning unconsciously.

MikeFerrara:
I think it works fine in an OW class ant it helps avoid the infamous "butt first plummit".
I like to have my OW students descend feet first facing their buddy (dives 3 & 4). To avoid the old "butt first plummet", I get them to push their hips forward and bend one leg up behind them, and point the toes of the other foot, giving them an an 'open-step' position. In this position they can easily bring their legs together to 'kick' up a meter or so if they have equalisation problems.

Back
Top Bottom