5 surges, with 4 dead, no dealer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudhole

Contributor
Reaction score
My surge is 4 or 5 years old and the third bulb, purchased this year, flashed and burnt out in seconds. My dive partners are all on their second or third lights, and they are dead bulbs, wiring. . . last weekend one of my friends threw his away and came back with a less bright, but more dependable brand, surelight(?).

One of the other posts talked about changing bulbs. . . are there old bulbs available?
The dive shop we bought Princeton Tec lights from has dropped them and will do nothing to order more bulbs. . . he says the recent bulbs burn out almost immediately. One of a friends light was new last October, burnt out the bulb immediately, it was returned after our local dive season, the little wiring board was replaced. . . worked through one set of 8 batteries and blew the bulb with a new set of batteries.

My first light was perfect for maybe 2 years, now I'm about to throw mine in the trash too. We were talking on the boat, and as good as it is when it works, we can get by with less light, as long as it works.

The light intensity is listed as 7- 1/2 watts, how bright is this comparing it to lumens?

The bulbs are available online. If you can't find them specifically labeled for the Surge, the Torrent Xenon uses the same bulb.

Though you might consider just getting a new LED light instead of dealing with the bulb eating Surge with it's crappy bulb/socket design and general lameness. You'll probably save the price in batteries eventually. I replaced ours with Torrent LEDs, one of the old version and one of the new. (They came out with a brighter version of the Torrent LED, and for awhile there were really good deals on the older version. Worth looking for if you don't want to spend a lot on a new light and don't need the brightest.)

Don't throw away the old light. They make good small dryboxes.

Don't throw it in the trash...send it back they have a lifetime warranty. They replaced my Surge with a Torrent.

Good luck,
U/O

My surge is 4 or 5 years old and the third bulb, purchased this year, flashed and burnt out in seconds. My dive partners are all on their second or third lights, and they are dead bulbs, wiring. . . last weekend one of my friends threw his away and came back with a less bright, but more dependable brand, surelight(?).

One of the other posts talked about changing bulbs. . . are there old bulbs available?
The dive shop we bought Princeton Tec lights from has dropped them and will do nothing to order more bulbs. . . he says the recent bulbs burn out almost immediately. One of a friends light was new last October, burnt out the bulb immediately, it was returned after our local dive season, the little wiring board was replaced. . . worked through one set of 8 batteries and blew the bulb with a new set of batteries.

My first light was perfect for maybe 2 years, now I'm about to throw mine in the trash too. We were talking on the boat, and as good as it is when it works, we can get by with less light, as long as it works.

The light intensity is listed as 7- 1/2 watts, how bright is this comparing it to lumens?

All of these posts are correct. There are bulbs available, as the bulb is the same for the Torrent Xenon. Also, we will cover that light under warranty; it will be replaced with a Torrent Xenon. To be set up with an RMA number, please contact Princeton Tec and we would be glad to help with your warranty.

Thanks

PTec Dive

The bulbs are available online. If you can't find them specifically labeled for the Surge, the Torrent Xenon uses the same bulb.

Though you might consider just getting a new LED light instead of dealing with the bulb eating Surge with it's crappy bulb/socket design and general lameness. You'll probably save the price in batteries eventually. I replaced ours with Torrent LEDs, one of the old version and one of the new. (They came out with a brighter version of the Torrent LED, and for awhile there were really good deals on the older version. Worth looking for if you don't want to spend a lot on a new light and don't need the brightest.)

Don't throw away the old light. They make good small dryboxes.

Thank you for your tip about dry box. . . I'm looking at the numbers, confusing, of a lot of the new lights. I'm tempted by the LED lights, but still looking for information. I took a while before going to the Surge, and the first bulb made it a favorite for a couple of years. . . Now I'll keep looking, but if I could depend on the surge, I would stay with the familiar.

Thank you for your tip about dry box. . . I'm looking at the numbers, confusing, of a lot of the new lights. I'm tempted by the LED lights, but still looking for information. I took a while before going to the Surge, and the first bulb made it a favorite for a couple of years. . . Now I'll keep looking, but if I could depend on the surge, I would stay with the familiar.

Go for a LED light (Princeton might even have an upgrade available).

It's worth it if for nothing else than battery life, and knowing that every time you turn it on, it will work. I can get almost a whole summer of night dives out of one set of C-Cells on my Shockwave LED.

Terry

Princeton Tec replaced the light, and the new packaging says 115 lumens, it's great and I don't want to give up a silly lumen. Hope to break it in this weekend, and use it for years to come. Thanks Princeton Tec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom