500 psi for two divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to be honest i dont know why my question caused so much irritation ! it was just an hypothetical case because im curious and i will try to avoid.
i really appreciate all answers, from all of you but seems like all the ones who answered are instructors or have more than 100 dives ... no offence but i wonder how some of you were with just 4 dives.

i dont care if im supposed to be able to plan a dive on my own after the OW. I think it would be an irresponsibility from my side to assume that i have to sit down with the dive tables , plan the whole dive and just jump in. I thought one of the rules of diving was not to go out your comfort zone? well , if with 4 dives i have to plan my next one i would be right out my comfort zone and NO, im certainly not prepare for it at the moment. So yes, im going to study this and keep relying on others with more experience, for now =)

I think it is less about what we call the concept (can it be "rock bottom" or whatever), it is more about the concept for calculating min gas reserved. As long as they know they need to reserve enough to get 2 divers up to the next gas supply, it is all it matters. But I still wonder why this concept isn't widely used.

You may not realize, though, what a tiny, tiny percentage of the world's diving population knows and uses that term.

Knowing a term is far far different from understanding a concept. You can call "rock bottom" by any term you like. I'm not surprised most don't know the term, most people don't even know the name of any agency other than the one they trained with.

Using rock bottom should be standard for rec divers. I understand some tech agencies reluctance because it's simply not possible to carry enough gas to ascend and deco 2 divers in an emergency situation from the end of a planned dive.

I think it is less about what we call the concept (can it be "rock bottom" or whatever), it is more about the concept for calculating min gas reserved. As long as they know they need to reserve enough to get 2 divers up to the next gas supply, it is all it matters. But I still wonder why this concept isn't widely used.

Knowing a term is far far different from understanding a concept. You can call "rock bottom" by any term you like. I'm not surprised most don't know the term, most people don't even know the name of any agency other than the one they trained with.

Using rock bottom should be standard for rec divers. I understand some tech agencies reluctance because it's simply not possible to carry enough gas to ascend and deco 2 divers in an emergency situation from the end of a planned dive.

So, are you saying that when you use the term "rock bottom," you don't actually mean the specific concept called rock bottom but rather any of the methods people use to make sure they have enough gas for their ascent?

So, are you saying that when you use the term "rock bottom," you don't actually mean the specific concept called rock bottom but rather any of the methods people use to make sure they have enough gas for their ascent?

And in addition, it seems overly conservative to use the referenced rock-bottom calculation.....for example, the safety stop is a large fraction of the requirement, but the safety stop is not required, also spending a minute at depth is outrageously conservative. And if each diver is carrrying a pony sufficient to get him/her to the surface, usually a 19 or maybe a 30 cuft bottle, is there even an issue any more? My point is, obsessive adherence to the referenced calculation is, well, obsessive.

I take no issue with gas planning, or reserves (hey, I'm a full cave diver), but question "rock bottom" as the one and only method.

I'm just curious, where did the value of 500 PSI become such a key metric? A lot of SPG mark it in red, we're told "exit with 500 PSI", etc. Does it have any relationship to the old "J" type valves, where at appx 500 PSI you were "OUT" and then you pulled the reserve rod down to get to the rest of the air. (unless the rod had gotten snagged on something and pulled itself down already). I vaguely remember them from when I first did some diving, but perhaps one of the old timers can help me out on this.

Steve

my dive instructor told me once 500 psi would last like 15 min ( average) so , in case it happens to me, i dont want to panic

Well, it's 1/6 of a tank, so if you can usually get a 45 minutes dive out of a tank, it should be good for 1/6 of 45 minutes, which is about 7 minutes. It would actually be more like 5 minutes, since you can't usually get the last 150PSI or so because of regulator design issues.

If you're sharing air it's even less, and if you're deep it's a lot less.

So the short answer is to read either or both of the gas planning links posted earlier, and you'll know as much as anybody here.

How much do you need? Well, you need enough to end the dive and surface with your buddy at any point. This requires a little math, but not too much.

Also, don't let some of the posters freak you out. Some are cave divers or dive in other situations that don't allow a direct ascent to the surface. As an Open Water Diver, you should never, never be anyplace where "up" isn't an option. You only need enough air to take your buddy to the surface, you don't need enough air to get out of a cave or wreck or deal with a decompression obligation.

Most of the people here have never run out of air. With a little planning, you can be one of them.

flots.

Last edited:
if your instructor said 15 mins then he's a moron and wasn't teaching you much of anything. As we have all been stating, 500psi doesn't mean anything because it has no correlation so the volume of air that you have left and the volume of air that you are breathing.

The only way to avoid the situation is to punch the other guy in the face and leave him there, but as we have also said, you should never put yourself in that situation, and should never base anything off of PSI, but always off of volume of air left.

you also have to almost double your normal breathing rates for emergency situations because very few divers actually have the mental ability to stay calm in stressful situations, mainly because they aren't put in those situations regularly.

Errol had a pretty good layup there, and with an AL80 being ~2.5cf/100psi your instructor is right, you have about 15 minutes at 30 feet IF your SAC is 0.5cfm. If you are at 66 feet, then that becomes 10 minutes if you stay there which is why before every dive you have to do the math.

Looks like this
My sac=0.5
buddies sac=0.8
Max depth =66 feet *used because of 2ata for easy math
assuming ascent of 30ft/minute with a 3 minute precautionary stop at 15 ft

Assuming everything goes hunky dory, you need 11.4 cf of air to make that ascent safely. That equates to about 450psi in an AL80 plus at minimum 150psi of reserve, so you know that you have to turn the dive around 700psi to make it back safe. That is best case scenario, and the very likely scenario is that during that emergency ascent your SAC will multiply by at least 1.5 which is now close to 700 PSI just to make the ascent, so you should turn that dive around 1000psi. Most recommend 2.0 adjustment, but 1.5 is bare minimum

Now, here is why that psi number has to be done as a factor of tank. Using a 200bar 18L *lp108 for us Americans* steel tank, the cf used doesn't change, but the PSI becomes 400 for the safe ascent instead of 700psi for the aluminum. Same cubic footage but you have to learn to think in cubic feet of air instead of PSI because the PSI is only useful when you only use one tank.

I understand the math, I don't agree with the application.

You have one diver who is now in an emergency situation (OOA) according to all I have learned in six months of diving and reading profusely here and about 20 books, and probably 10-20 blogs... that one single fact becomes the limiting criteria in the scenario. How much air diver B has in their tank is now IMMATERIAL, and given the depth, you surface immediately on shared air and do not worry about a safety stop... even if the dive profile included 12 minutes at 100ft, you might go to 20 feet and ride it out until your tanks on fumes, but it seems that surfacing and being done for the day is the better part of valor, and safer choice overall.

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 09:08 AM ----------

of course i do not take it wrong ! im really happy you all tried to help me , just sometimes people expect too much from new divers and until now i havent had any problems but the " what if ..." are always in my head . i just find this specific subject quite hard to get with the volume, cf, calculating bottom times, etc ...

im quite slow understanding calculations ! so guess will take time and more dives

Tatiana, I too an new certified, though I've been trying to log as many dives as I can... and as some here know, I have already broke the rule about monitoring my gas and ended up OOA (with an instructor mind you).

As a fellow new diver, let me pass the wisdom of that lesson on to you. Most divers use AL-80s, the most common tank around... at 500psi or 50bar, that's where the redline on your SPG starts, and that's where your ascent to the surface starts no matter what. (wait wait wait you heavy handed meatheads, I'm getting there...).. In truth, you should be ON THE SURFACE at 500psi.

If you hit the redline anywhere else, you should be signalling your buddy the "LOW AIR" sign, then the "ASCEND" sign in that order. If they are giving you the "OUT OF AIR" sign, they better be moving the same direction as your alternate air source.

Other than making sure you are monitoring your air (I had to set my watch to go off every 6 minutes, now it's set for 8 - a little annoying to the peace seekers, but its for me not them)... you don't have to do much THINKING... your plan is to be on the surface before you go into the RED. PERIOD.

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 09:18 AM ----------

Yep, it's pretty pathetic that new divers aren't taught anything besides "be back to the surface with 500psi". Nobody has been rude to the OP in this thread, poor instruction isn't bashing the OP, only attempting to open her eyes to what she SHOULD know.

I fail to see why that is pathetic. Most people here won't have this experience, but I grew up in farm country. Kids got a driver's license at 14. It was good for DAYLIGHT ONLY, not much farming goes on in the dark. And we knew that "BE HOME BEFORE DARK" was the rule. That's pretty easy to define, if you have to turn on the lights of the vehicle, or another vehicle can't see you clearly without lights, then it's DARK, and you should be HOME.

For a new diver, I think teaching an absolute is the best way to go about it. There's nothing pathetic for a new diver to be taught "BE ON THE SURFACE AT 500PSI" (actually, I'd just say, BE ON THE SURFACE BEFORE YOU ARE IN THE RED)... it's a clearly defined line, and unless they are under the direct supervision of a more experienced diver who is going to be responsible for their safety, they should stick to it like the gospel.

I don't argue that there is MORE to learn about gas management. I think NWGrateful Diver's blog should be in the AOW book, AS IS, because it's clear, concise information on the BEST way to manage your gas supply.

But for some reason, our society has decided not to set boundaries for ourselves. Children shouldn't be told no, we can drink 'a little' and still drive, 500psi isn't really 500psi,... now that is pathetic.

sometimes people expect too much from new divers

I've yet to see an example of that.

IMO, this is really simple: before any other aspect of diving, even the greenest PADI OW certified diver needs to get that they are voluntarily immersing themselves in an environment that will quickly kill them without either (1) a breathing system that is functional and connected to a gas volume of sufficient supply, or (2) means and time of reaching the surface at a rate that won't kill them from AGE. And even on shallow rec dives, (2)--CESA--can become a real mess, so understanding why and how (1) works...is of no small importance.

There's nothing wrong with your questions, but it's not a matter of expectations to point out that the fact you are asking them while actively diving means you're playing Russian Roulette. Hopefully with much better odds than 1:6, but the same game at the end of the day.

Hey,

I hope that you don't take this the wrong way. A lot of very experienced divers are going out of their way to try to help you.

It's always OK to ask questions if they are asked in earnest (I don't think that you are trolling). But what we are trying to tell you is that memorizing a protocol for what to do if you find yourself and your buddy with 500 psi between you is NOT a good idea at all. It's not a good idea, because you should be totally focused on your gas reserves and your gas consumption. You should be working on honing your situational awareness. If you end up in the situation you described, it is because of a failure of that process, not because you just had the bad luck to encounter that condition through no fault of your own.

The fact that you are writing thing like "my dive instructor told me once 500 psi would last like 15 min ( average)" means to us that you do not have a basic understanding of the mechanics of breathing compressed gas underwater, even at the OW level. Again, don't take this the wrong way, we are not beating up on you, we are trying to direct your learning and practice towards productive ends.

Dive safe!

M

No question that planning is the key but it is good to have an idea what happens if you get low. I've seen someone suddenly realize he was low and he absolutely paniced. He was at about 300lb at over 60 feet. Once the divemaster got him calmed down he easily reached the surface with that air. I think the thing with regulators breathing hard may be overblown. I used to use a hookah. It only produced about 60 psi and I went to 50 feet using a standard scuba regulator. I did have to breath really slow and steady down there with no extra air for a fast breath but the regulators worked. I'm not suggesting planning your dive that way, only not assuming you are about to die if you look at your gauges at 60 feet and discover you only have 300 psi. Just head up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom