5060... Flooded on first weekend out :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Pre-dive I checked the Orings for foreign matter that could cause a leak, everything was still lubed from the factory, I just got the camera Monday, it didn't leak while I submerged the housing alone for 3 sec, 30 sec, or 3 min, but it sure did flood out at 40' with the camera in it :( ... The lower-left corners inside Oring somehow managed to dislodge itself, it sure wasn't like that when I latched the housing over the camera.

Cameras dead, I'm waiting on an email from Olympus giving me contact info to a technician who can tell me where to send the housing and camera off to...

Ugh...

well dang! Sorry to hear it, but it happens to the best of us.....did you have insurance? Best if you send it to Oly California...Got my camera back with in 3 weeks.

Good luck!

kevreid:

Yeah, I know :( I actually PM'd him about my flooding last night before making this thread this morning - trying to find out how his situation has made out since...

justleesa:
well dang! Sorry to hear it, but it happens to the best of us.....did you have insurance? Best if you send it to Oly California...Got my camera back with in 3 weeks.

Good luck!

Contacted Oly and they want me to send it to Oly NY, is there a big difference in the quality of work?

SuPrBuGmAn:
Cameras dead, I'm waiting on an email from Olympus giving me contact info to a technician who can tell me where to send the housing and camera off to...

Ugh...

I can only imagine how aggrevating, frustrating and a few other words this must be. I hope you are able to get it fixed soon. :06:

SuPrBuGmAn:
Contacted Oly and they want me to send it to Oly NY, is there a big difference in the quality of work?

Every story I've heard of long delays, poor repairs, etc. have all come from the NY repair facility. Granted this is second hand knowledge from reading posts in message boards but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If at all possible send it to the California facility. I got mine back in under 3 weeks, spoke several times to real people who knew the stage of repair and could give me reports.

Dee:
Every story I've heard of long delays, poor repairs, etc. have all come from the NY repair facility. Granted this is second hand knowledge from reading posts in message boards but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If at all possible send it to the California facility. I got mine back in under 3 weeks, spoke several times to real people who knew the stage of repair and could give me reports.

Did you have insurance? I never get in the water without it!

Camera came in Monday and I was out of town until Wednesday night, I had Thursday to pack for my little weekend excursion that started Friday... That was a long way of saying, no, I didn't have insurance at that point... I had plans to pick it up when I got back, but didn't have a chance prior to this trip, which I thought would be OK since everything is brand spanking new and should work as designed... harsh reality :*(

well shucks.....and about the Oly service - What Dee said

SuPrBuGmAn:
Camera came in Monday and I was out of town until Wednesday night, I had Thursday to pack for my little weekend excursion that started Friday... That was a long way of saying, no, I didn't have insurance at that point... I had plans to pick it up when I got back, but didn't have a chance prior to this trip, which I thought would be OK since everything is brand spanking new and should work as designed... harsh reality :*(

I understand the rush. I got my C-5050 the day before a trip and needed it covered pronto. I called DEPP and added it to my existing policy over the phone. You can do this with a new policy if you use a credit card to pay for it. That way you are covered immediately. As you now know, it doesn't matter if it's brand new or not. I'd venture to say that at least 90% of all floods are user error, no matter what the age of the rig is. Like 'they' say..it's not IF you'll have a flood, it's WHEN! Just a fact of life when you take electronics into the water.

Back
Top Bottom