5mm or 7mm for Galapagos in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmer up north at Wolf and Darwin, colder in the south. I get cold easily so I was cold at times in my 7 mil. I had packed extra layers but luggage never arrived. Stuck in a mop closet in Ecuador airport.
If I remember right it was 74 in the south and 78 in the north. My recommendation is take the 7mil and something extra in case.

Answered in other thread I saw first: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/south-america/447229-freezing-not-galapagos-2.html#post6695403

7mm. Surface temps average 72 F / 22 C and thermoclines around 64F/18C. If you are on an itinerary that goes west (Punta Vicente Roca, Roca Redonda and especially Cabo Douglas), 54F / 12 C is not uncommon. Locals refer to Punta Vicente Roca as la nevera...the freezer (literally translated - the snowmaker). Darwin is always warmer than all other sites.

On my trip two years ago i dove in a 6.5mm semidry and was very comfortable. 7mm wetsuit i would think is the minimum and i don't easily get cold. I recently had a dive in similar conditions with a 3mm thermaltec and froze my but off... Doubt a 5mm would have made much of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom