6' Diver... Medium or Large plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Is there a measurement that can help [me] a 6' 185lb diver decide between the Medium and Large plate. I wear a size 40R, and specifically measure 18" between top of jeans to the t-shirt collar. Thanks

I figured that Tobin gets this question enough that it would be worth a public Thread.

I'd probably go with the medium. DSS doesn't list measurements on their site. Find out what the length of the bp is and go just short of the 18".

A friend, NetDoc, has a DSS Medium that I measured to be 15". I used that during a 3 day Cavern & Intro Cave class and it dug in to my back once or twice on land. I don't think that's too bad for 3 days of use and I suspect it was because I didn't have the Pro-Fit (deluxe) harness correctly fitted. Also, I was using it with the straps crossed.

In the absence of a definitive answer I would error on the short side also, reasoning that a short plate is better than a long plate.

That does sound like a harness issue. Uncrossing the straps should help, too. And yes, it's better to have it slightly short than too long.

Oceanus:
A friend, NetDoc, has a DSS Medium that I measured to be 15". I used that during a 3 day Cavern & Intro Cave class and it dug in to my back once or twice on land. I don't think that's too bad for 3 days of use and I suspect it was because I didn't have the Pro-Fit (deluxe) harness correctly fitted. Also, I was using it with the straps crossed.

In the absence of a definitive answer I would error on the short side also, reasoning that a short plate is better than a long plate.

Oceanus,

I suspect the plate was too low when you used the borrowed rig. If the plate is too low, and the harness too loose the lower edge of the plate might hit your pelvis.

At 6 ft you are on the border between a medium and large. Likely either will work, but I to would suggest shorter not longer, and the medium plates are a little less expensive than the large plates.

Regards,

Tobin

I'm 6'1 and went with medium. It's fine, but a long wouldn't be uncomfortable.

Thanks to all

I've ordered a Medium SS plate with a 17# Torus (LP85, 3mm, no lead needed) along with some other DSS goodies. Very much looking forward to diving it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom