6 million different Computers, I just need one right now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDonald

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, as most of you know theres so many different computers that I need direction. I go to several different dive shops, all with different opinions. The two that I belive I am down too, are the NitekDuo and the Suunto VytecDS. Only a FEW things im concerned with slash confused about. The NitekDuo seem like a solid computer and when I get to the point of several mix dives this would be obsolete (only has 2gas mix options). The Suunto VytecDS also a solid computer this has the 3 gas mix which is nice. The Nitek goes to gauge mode when I make the transition to Tech, and can be used through training? Correct me if Im wrong, but training organizations all train you on 2 gases, then once out of the class you start doing 3 gases. I was thinking about just going with the Nitek, since it goes to gauge mode and I could just use tables for my Advance Nitrox and Deco class at the end of the summer. Or I could use the Vytec SPENDING MORE and use it for longer and then make the transition to tech, and would only then need to buy a more advance computer for trimix. Maybe I should just buy a cobra, an SPG and a Compass, use tables for the first couple tech classes then blow some money. PLEASE COME FORTH WITH OPINIONS. Help, lol. Also, any one dive with the dive-rite fins with the spring straps? Better or worse then the old style, like scubapro jet fins.
Any opinions on shearwater Research computers? like the pursuit spon?

Im done. HaHa

Whoo there... slow down.

Definitely not doing the major tec stuf yet but the shearwater and the Suunuto gear are in totally different leauges.

O/K, buying a computer is a no brainer... a have to do. But.. sit back and thing what am you are doing at the moment and where to you intend to go. Mulitgas is fine but what sort of diving are you going to be doing and how long before you jump into the multi gas or trimix enviroment. The computer you need today may be a quarter of the price in the future when you move to the next step and, based on the programming, more functionality for the same amount of bucks.

There are 6 million computers out there, you are correct, but, if you need one now and in the near future, which one caters for your immediate needs for the price. You have to realize that a year or two includes amazing advancements in technology and thus price. A relatilty simple Nitrox capable computer today will be out of date in 2 years time in which the upgraded model, for less, may cater for your future trimix needs.

Slim the need down to functionality. Wrist vs console. AI vs no AI, compass vs no compass. There could be a 1000 buck difference between what you would like and what you realy need today compared to future gear and prices. Get on to the vendors web sites and sus out the RRP for what you think you need and then go talk turkey to the LDS for the better price.:)

I wouldn't buy the Suunto vytecDS. Reading about it on Suunto's website, it doesn't support trimix so it isn't going to do you any more good than a Nitekduo. Most likely, you're not going to be using 3 different gases if you aren't using trimix.

I also wouldn't buy a VR3, VRX, or Liquivision X1 right now unless it supports your diving RIGHT now. See, they're all marketed that they grow with you, and will never be obsolete. Right. That's why VR Technology just came out with the VRX. Kevin Gurr claims the VR3 will still be for sale for years, but, ok, why the VRX then? A different algorithim? Give me a break. Likewise, some kind of technology is going to come out that makes some other computer a better option than the X1. Buy what supports your diving now, or what you're going to be doing within the year. The Nitek DUO is a good choice for that, if you want a deco computer. Me personally, I still run tables with 2 bottom timers(1 is a recreational computer in gauge mode). When I go for full cave, I'll probably buy a duo because there's a big difference between a cave profile and a square profile out in the ocean, and that's when I think a computer could be of value.

But, anyways, a 3 gas computer that doesn't do mix is a pretty useless feature.

ScubaDonald,

Sorry, missed the fin tag in your post. I have the old jet fins, actully pre scuba pro ( farralon) but exactly the same mold and other than squeezing my foot and having no heel support.... I love them. O/K thrust, little tubulance.. yadd yadda yadda. Compared to the split fins for speed in low current ... I actually use Mares Superchannels for general dives as the boot fits best for my wide foot.

Your question comes back to your dive computer question. What are you going to be using them for. From a fin perspective, find what fits the best. I find the jet fins stir up less on the bottom but the Mares Superchannels are best (or at least for me) for normal general dives on reefs. I was a devotee of jet fins as I have used them for years until I tries my wifes fins... the Mares, now I have two sets. Horses for courses they say. Identify what what you want to do as your primary objective and suit to this.

Cheers :D

Jets w/ springs VS DR with springs..............personal experience, I own both.

Both are good fins.

Jets are heavier.

BM doubles, I use jets as I fight being head heavy and every bit of weight I can move towards my feet helps. Jets trim me better in BM.

SM the DR fins are better for my trim.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom