7 mile diver vs Don Foster ???any thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joelzee

Reaction score
We are staying at Comfort Suites and these are the two dive operations for these location and yes I know everyone will pick me up and take me somewhere but i like to walk down and see them and not wonder if and when someone is coming for me.

I've looked for info on scuba board and have not seen anything on 7 mile diver, seen alot for Don Fosters it looks a little cattle boat ish??

Thanks for your thoughts

fwiw, Fosters will shuttle you on a van to their location in Georgetown. Or Snug Harbor if you're doing Stingray City and points north. My guess would be that they'll stop along the way at the other hotels to pick people up also.

If you don't like the cattle boat look of Foster's - which I agree with - we didn't go with them for that reason - there are better options. Being in Georgetown my guess was that they get a lot of cruise ship traffic also, so expect fuller boats and more dumbed-down dive sites.

I'd recommend Neptunes Divers or WalltoWall diving as options. Single, smaller boats and they have diver limits. I've never heard of 7mile diver but since Foster's is on-site at Comfort Suites, they're the only diveop there, that's how it works on Cayman.

my .02

Indigo Divers in GC is also very good. They limit their boat to 6 divers max. :14:

7 Mile divers
of 7 Mile beach resort across from Coconut Joes
any good or bad I should know about them we have a 20% off coupon thought we should give them a try??

Thanks

We would recommed Divetech. They will pick you up and shuttle you to their boats. Which are large boat with about 10 diver. They even provide free computer rental because they have 2 one hour dive profiles on their boat trips. They also provide 2 dive guides for each dive to make sure no one cuts short the dive for the group. I can not say enough good things about their staff. Also check out their shore diving, it was awesome and it was free with the boat package.

Joelzee:
We are staying at Comfort Suites and these are the two dive operations for these location and yes I know everyone will pick me up and take me somewhere but i like to walk down and see them and not wonder if and when someone is coming for me.

I've looked for info on scuba board and have not seen anything on 7 mile diver, seen alot for Don Fosters it looks a little cattle boat ish??

Thanks for your thoughts[/QUOTE

Ha, that's funny, 'cause I stayed at 7MBR and waited, and waited,. .. for the van from their dive service to pick us up for dives. They were late every day. All the other dive op's that I've been with on G. Cayman have been more punctual. There is no room at 7MBR for their van and their dive boat is just as far away as everyone elses so trying to avoid the "wondering if someone is coming for me" isn't going to happen with them. Sorry.

Recently got roped into taking a cruise with my mother and Foster's was the operator on a couple shore excursion dives I booked in Cayman. I had brought my own computer and octopus and they wouldn't do much to make my gear work with the BCD I wanted to rent. Their final solution was swapping my computer and air gauge out with a hose on their rental reg - leaving me with a rental reg and *no secondary air source*. No thanks. I bagged both dives...I'm out $150, but I'd rather suck that up than run the risk of a chamber ride or hospital visit.

I was recently in Grand Cayman and dove with Don Foster's to Stingray City, as well as Sunset House Divers where I stayed and Dive Tech at Cobalt Coast. Larry at Scuba Toys recommended Dive Tech to me, but I went ahead and stayed at Sunset House. Larry advice was right again as the hotel and boats were much nicer and newer with much more knowledgable guides at Dive Tech. The guide at Sunset House did not even go down with us on our second dive at Devil's Grotto. Don Foster's was definately ok, but the shuttle process was tedious. The Dive Tech guide was the best I have ever dove with.

I just spent a week diving with 7mile diver - 7 mile watersports and had a great trip. We did 6 days of two tank North Wall dives with one day a three tank dive with a leisurely lunch break.

The van was onsite to pick us up every morning at 8am and it was about a 15 minute drive over to the Yacht Club to the boat where we loaded up and left.

We dove exclusively the North Wall, never repeating a wall site, and only repeating the second shallow site once (it was a calmer day and there was a ton of traffic out on the water that day).

Overall I had a great experience with 7 mile, the staff were courteous and efficient, and the diving was fantastic.

The boat was quite nice, lots of room and there was only 6 - 8 of us the entire week although the boat can handle far more.

Don Fosters, although one of the larger operators on the island really do a ton of business with the Cruise Ship tourists so I understand that their boats can be very packed. 7 mile watersports tend to deal with a smaller and more experienced clientelle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom