7 Night Live Aboard Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Bomberg

Contributor
Reaction score
We are going the the GBR in Jan of 2021 (not the best time of the year but ...) and we need help, we have pretty much narrowed down our options to Mike Ball (Coral Sea Safari) or SPIRIT OF FREEDOM (COD HOLE - RIBBON REEFS & CORAL SEA ADVENTURE)

So we need advice, which is a better choice, while we don't drink much my GF likes a nice glass of wine with dinner, we do like good food and as she may not do every dive a good place to relax and enjoy while I am underwater is important.

As it's the rainy season both indoor and outdoor space are important. We like firmer beds and would pay for premium (double with ocean view room and en-suite) in both cases.

Wifi on-board is nice but not critical

So based on the above what would you suggest?

Diving on Mike Ball in December and have been on SOF. SOF was a great boat and trip. Lots of room to maneuver and find space on a full boat. Accommodations in the Ocean View Standard were more than adequate. The Ocean View Deluxe was booked, was a bit bigger. Can report back on a comparison when I return.

Diving on Mike Ball in December and have been on SOF. SOF was a great boat and trip. Lots of room to maneuver and find space on a full boat. Accommodations in the Ocean View Standard were more than adequate. The Ocean View Deluxe was booked, was a bit bigger. Can report back on a comparison when I return.

Please that would be very helpful, in the meanwhile can I ask you about SOF.

How was the food and the bed (we like firmer beds) also WIFI when in range, how often did you have connectivity? We were looking at the Ocean View Standard cabin, would you take the deluxe if it was available?

Food was great.

I like a firmer bed too, can't say I remember the bed. However, don't think I remember it being mushy. Think I would remember that...

Don't use wifi on boats. I try and stay disconnected.

I did want the Deluxe to begin with, but as I said it was booked. In hindsight, I would probably save the money. For me, I use the cabin to sleep, go to the bathroom/shower and change clothes. Most of the time was spent outside and felt there was an adequate amount of room on the boat. The deluxe is a bit bigger though, so if you like to spend time in your room for some privacy then might be worth it. There was also a stateroom, but preferred the Ocean View rooms as they were on top deck and much less noisy on some of the overnight trips and had windows.

I have read some recent reviews of SOF as my trip was many years ago. Some recent reviews state the boat has gotten little dated. Something to consider.

Will report back on the state of Mike Ball boat in a couple of months. I have a premium double booked which is a little smaller than the queen premium, but also more forward on the boat. Prefer forward as have heard the back/queen rooms can be a bit more noisy.

You won't get Wifi on the outer reefs at all. Even the mainland in this area is remote and has little to no cell service so WiFi is patchy at best only in certain areas and only available on SOF I believe.

I prefer the Spoilsport myself. Wider beam and more stable catamaran. More open top sun deck. Just more room in general.

Back
Top Bottom