750 pound Mako gaffed and killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From that list it looks like you certainly are not too particular about who you befriend :rofl3:

On the PLUS side, no MODs are on that list which is a first :D

Mako is a legal gamefish here in Florida, and is a well regulated and sustainable recreational fishery. The Mako population in southwest Florida is increasing at this time. It is also one of my favorite dinners.

I agree totally. Apparently this fish was gaffed w/o a hook in its mouth and that is illegal but I would be willing to bet that even if this fish was caught legally we would still be having this same discussion about someone killing a legal fish. I'm glad that there is another marine scientist watching this discussion that realizes there are a large number of mako's out there. Most divers don't dive the 50-150 fathom line at night so noo wonder ppl don't see them that much when diving.

thats because they all know how to "hide" when checking profiles . . .

Mako is a legal gamefish here in Florida, and is a well regulated and sustainable recreational fishery. The Mako population in southwest Florida is increasing at this time. It is also one of my favorite dinners.

Nobody said it was illegal to fish for and/or catch a mako in Florida water (or even where these guys were, federal waters). However, the only legal catch method is hook and line. These guys appear to have snagged the swordfish carcass, lured the shark next to their boat, and then simply sank a few gaffs into the shark.

While these guys have some grapefruit sized cajones, this catch appears to have been illegal.

Yes, sometimes you have to go to extreme lengths and use extreme examples to get some people to understand the issue.

But the question remains, can you make the connection between that over the top analogy and the faulty logic expressed that sport fishing for sharks is fine because more sharks die in nets and on long lines?

I can make the connection. In a better world, we would stop all commercial fishing in the seas and only allow sport fishing....the same as we do on land. No land animals are commercially hunted as it would not be sustainable. Managed sport hunting has brought back numbers of many species. (Deer, as an example were rare when I was a kid in Ohio...now they're like rabbits).

In the meantime before we DO ban all commercial fishing, we don't have to stop all sport fishing.

I can make the connection. In a better world, we would stop all commercial fishing in the seas and only allow sport fishing....the same as we do on land. No land animals are commercially hunted as it would not be sustainable. Managed sport hunting has brought back numbers of many species. (Deer, as an example were rare when I was a kid in Ohio...now they're like rabbits).

In the meantime before we DO ban all commercial fishing, we don't have to stop all sport fishing.

Stop all commercial fishing? What basis do you have for this statement? I work for NMFS and most commercial fisheries are rebounding very strongly from the damage done in 70's and 80's. NMFS has put serious restrictions on commercial fishing to the point that the fleet is half of what it was 20 years ago. You aren't going to stop commercial fishing so why make the US stop it and have to import all frozen seafood from other countries? A lot of those countries kill and consume many endangered animals. So you want to stop commercial fishing in America where it is regulated and protected species are protected for the most part. What an ignorant comment. Really commercial hunting, lol, sounds like a great idea. BTW sporties do plenty of damage too so don't think that they don't contribute to the problems.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom