750 pound Mako gaffed and killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, lets cut through all the BS here. Regardless, of how this particular shark was caught, do any of you dispute that certain shark species are a legitimate food source for us? If you answer "NO", please let us know if you are a strict vegan. Thanks, diverdoug1

Last edited:
:shakehead: Actually, it tasted awesome! I don't need meat to make a great meal. I did once have thresher shark that was caught in a tournament and it was terrible. I won't make that mistake again. The fishermen don't even take proper care of the meat by gutting it immediately because all they care about is the weight, which means uric acid is released into the flesh. And I definitely wouldn't eat a mako shark, regardless of whether it tastes good or not. Top ocean predators such as makos can hardly be compared to domesticated farm animals.

Should have tried Blacktip.. They are yummy..

Dramatics sooms to be where it is at lately, so I am thinking that I should protest the ingestion of ANYTHING at all. It should no longer matter if the animal was NOT endangered or the plant was plentiful.....we should stop all harvesting activities and cease all ingestion of anything. That'll keep the tree huggers happy.

mmm mmm mako the tastiest of all shark species.......

While I do not personally know the group of fishermen, I know someone who does.
I spoke with my friend about the catch of the shark.
This is all I have to report, second hand information as it is.
Chug

OK I really did not want to do this, but after reading the entire thread over, I guess I will post a second hand update.
I dove this weekend with two people who know the Fishermen who killed the Mako.

I am told that they have the whole event on tape, cell phone, film, whatever, and it does show them catching the shark by hook and line with a piece of swordfish hacked off of the carcass of the dead sword and getting her close enough to gaff.

So based on what I am being told "second hand"......they are in the clear
(I have no dog in this fight, other than I would prefer that this Mako momma was still swimming in the sea making other mommas, and I like puppies and kittens too).
Does anyone have any info that would say otherwise as far as the hook and line protocal being used?
This may still be under inverstigation.
Chug

I work for NMFS and most commercial fisheries are rebounding very strongly from the damage done in 70's and 80's.
If it is true that most commercial fisheries are rebounding, that is good news. Is that worldwide, or just in the United States? The last I read on the subject was this article in Science (November 2006), which I'm sure you're familiar with, that predicted a "collapse" in global fisheries:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/314/5800/787

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom