8/15/2008 - Mammoth or 288Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnowen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone up for diving on Friday, 8/15/2008 at Mammoth or 288Lake. I pick up my new regulator and BC next week and want to try them out before the Diving for Science course on Saturday 8/16.

John

If only I could get off work on Fridays I would be very happy to head that way. The Friday of the 29th is still a go.

Cargo plane makes its final descent

By Jessica Hamilton
The Facts

Published August 7, 2008

CLUTE — When the president of Vernor Materials and Equipment saw the plane on an auction site, his first thought wasn’t to repair it, sell it or even fly it. Instead, Kenney Vernor wanted to sink it.

Vernor and Hydrosports Scuba Shop owners Mike and Michelle Cryer gathered along the banks of Mammoth Lake as a crew of divers prepared to sink the U.S. Air Force C-130 Hercules on Monday.

“When I saw it on the auction site, I didn’t think the guys would go for it,” Vernor said. “Another guy saw it and was fired up about it, so I thought maybe we would be able to sell it to the group and we did.”

After 50 years with the U.S. Air Force, the Hercules is the newest diving attraction to Hydrosports Scuba in Clute. The C-130 joins a fighter jet, train caboose, pieces of the Mayan Mindbender from Astroworld, giant sculptures of mammoths, turtles and old parts from NASA — all under the surface of the 55-acre lake.

“The owners of the lake acquire a lot of cool stuff for it,” Hydrosports Scuba owner Michelle Cryer said. “As far as we know, this is going to be the only divable C-130 in the U.S., so it’s a big deal.”

A hundred feet long and with a 149-foot wingspan, the plane had to be cut in half in order to be sunk to the bottom of the lake. It took all day Monday for the team to sink the front half of the aircraft, and while Tropical Storm Edouard threatened the progress of the plane’s back portion, the crew is expecting to have both halves of the C-130 underwater today.

“We had to cut it up in little pieces to get it down here,” Vernor said. “Those wings are in four sections, and we had to scab them together and we had to cut holes to make it safe inside. We have a lot of people helping us here.”

The plane has built anticipation as it has overlooked the lake from the bank for almost a year. To get the plane from Lubbock to Clute last summer, the wings were taken from the craft and it was pulled on its two front wheels.

“We have a world-class, premier diving site right here and the people in this community should really learn how to dive and take advantage of something like this,” Vernor employee Doug Raymer said.

Hydrosports Scuba moved from Lake Jackson to its current site two years after remnants of two mammoths were found by Vernor’s company while digging the property. The Cryers decided to take advantage of the massive hole created from the digging.

Since opening, Hydrosports Scuba has trained and certified more than 1,000 people as divers. To become a certified diver, one must complete the required classroom study, practice techniques during pool session and learn how to use equipment properly from a provided trainer. Certification can be done over the course of a weekend with one to four basic scuba classes offered each month.

Divers helping position the C-130 shared the boat with a Discovery Channel crew documenting diving sites all over the world.

“Hopefully, it will be a marketing coup for us,” Vernor said.

For information on diving in Mammoth Lake, call Mike or Michelle Cryer at (979) 285-0600.

Jessica Hamilton is a reporter for The Facts. Contact her at (979) 237-0149.

ohhh... i can't wait!!
080708-mammoth-lake1.jpg

If only I could get off work on Fridays I would be very happy to head that way. The Friday of the 29th is still a go.

Sounds like a plan, Shawn and I will check out the C-130 tomorrow.

Anyone out there up for the 15th?

Any current dive reports? Last I remember vis was poor and it was surely a work in progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom