800 feet? Or the Moon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

didnt know they had a video of that, i cant even imagine what was going through his head. dam that would suck. RIP

***edit*** someone beat me to the punch. Disregard this message.

Er ... what's "recreational" in this context?

Just as an epistle on the OP, I was reading Gary Gentile's The Technical Diving Handbook (good book by the way, speaking as a non-technical diver reading it out of interest) and he was cross referring to a Navy study that was published in 1989 about tests on the use of rebreathers below 850 feet.

So although much military stuff is classified, I think we can probably take it as read that the US Navy was diving to those depths (and publishing the results) whilst mullet haircuts were still in fashion, and back when everyone still thought Kevin Costner could act.

It does remind of another famous 'apples to oranges' comparison that I have heard more than once:

"More people have climbed Mount Everest than have dived with Great White Sharks."

Probably true (I am reliably informed by people who have done it that you get about 12-20 new ascendees a day up Everest), but not really relevant to anything.

There has been somewhere around 3000 ascents of Everest. Typically 150-300 during the month of May each year.

Er ... what's "recreational" in this context?

In my view if you're diving for fun/hobby/without financial reward its a recreation so qualifies as recreational.

And if you're diving for "fame and fortune" that will (hopefully) turn into cash on the lecture circuit?

So although much military stuff is classified, I think we can probably take it as read that the US Navy was diving to those depths (and publishing the results) whilst mullet haircuts were still in fashion, and back when everyone still thought Kevin Costner could act.

Hold the phone!

When did mullets go out of fashion?

On a serious note, I spent the last two days researching David Shaw, his world record breaking dive, his last dive, and his life in general. He was a remarkable man and a remarkable diver. There are several videos available on Youtube which include the footage from Dave's helmet camera, as well as one which included commentary from Don Shirley. I also read the final accident findings, which are very insightful and educational. Those findings, along with many other great articles are available on Don Shirley's website here :http://www.technicaldivingafrica.com/home.html.

David Shaw's personal website has been left completely untouched since his fatal dive. The tab detailing the plans for the body recovery details the plans leading up the dive day, as well as for the follow-on days. He has several lengthy reports from previous deep dives, to include the dive during which he discovered Deon's body. The website is both informative and chilling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom